A detachment of 70 men, consisting of 52 men from the 18th Foot, 15 men from the Maltese Fencible Regiment and 3 soldiers from the Royal Artillery were at Fort Chambray, Gozo. They served as guards at Rabat (12 men), Comino (3 men), Mgarr-ix-Xieni (2 men) and Marsascala (2 men).
Fort Ricasoli was used as a depôt for troops sailing to and from Corfu. In April 1822, a ward was set aside in Fort Ricasoli for the treatment of ophthalmia patients.
On 13 Nov 1822, a convalescent depôt for the sick of the Ionian Islands was established in Malta and Gozo. The regiments in the Ionian Islands were the 28th, 32nd, 36th and 51st Foot. The first convalescents from Corfu, consisting of 132 men, disembarked at Fort Ricasoli in August, where they were examined by the Principal Medical Officer.
In his Annual Report on the diseases in the garrison of Malta, the PMO John Hennen described the difficulties he had encountered
from various sources in carrying the establishment into execution.
Graham Alexander Balneavis, infant son of Lt Col Henry Balneavis and his wife Georgiana, born on 10 April 1822, died on 23 May 1822, aged 7 weeks. (Military and Civil Cemetery Floriana).
In 1822, the total number of patients with Primary Syphilis in a garrison of 2,480 men was only 28, including 8 still under treatment from the preceding year. All were treated with mercury. The total number of cases of Secondary Syphilis was nine. There were 134 patients with sores not possessing the Hunterian characteristics.
that upon the whole, during 1822 under the now new mercurial practice adopted to its fullest extent in this garrison, there has not occurred a single embarrassing case or a single symptom which would lead to the shadow of doubt as to the propriety of continuing it.
Dress Regulations – Hospital Staff
General Orders Horse Guards 25 April 1822: Inspectors were to wear:
1. Blue coat, double breasted, lapels of the same colour.
2. Scarlet collar and cuffs, slashed sleeves and skirts.
3. Three gold embroidered loops on the collar, three on each cuff, three plain on each sleeve.
4. Gilt buttons with the crown, star, the letters GR and the words Hospital Staff raised thereon.
5. Plain cocked hat, black button and black silk loop.
6. White breeches and long boots or white pantaloons with Hessian boots.
7. White breeches with silk stockings, shoes and gilt buckles for full dress.
8. Blue overalls for undress.
9. Sword belt to be worn under the coat, knot, a regulation sword as approved for officers of infantry.
10. Black silk cravat or stock.
11. White leather gloves.
12. Blue great coat.
Deputy Inspectors wore two embroidered loops on the collar, two on each cuff and two plain on each sleeve.
From 28 Nov 1822, Physicians wore a single breasted coat with two embroidered loops in their collar to distinguished them from staff surgeons. Assistant Staff Surgeons distinguished themselves from Hospital Assistants by having one embroidered loop in the collar.
The apothecaries wore a single breasted blue coat, scarlet collar and cuffs, slashed sleeves and skirts, one button on the collar, one on each cuff and one on each sleeve.
The Assistant Staff Surgeons and Hospital Assistants wore a single breasted blue coat with scarlet collar, slashed sleeves and skirts, one button on the collar and two on each sleeve.
In 1822, a Professorship of Anatomy and a Chair of Surgery was established at the University of Malta. The first to hold the Chair was the former Army Surgeon Gavino Patrizio Portelli, who remained in post for 16 years.