Regiments of the Malta Garrison The Army Ordnance Corps
The Army Ordnance Corps
The Board of Ordnance originated in the 14th century and supplied the army with its armaments and ammunition. At the outbreak of the French Revolutionary Wars (1792–1802) a Field Train Department was set up within the Board. The Board ceased to exist in 1855 when its responsibilities were transferred to the Secretary of State for War, the Royal Artillery and the Royal Engineers.
During 1857, two departments both based at the Tower of London, the Military Store Department (officers) and the Corps of Armourer-Sergeants (other ranks) were set up to carry out these functions. The Field Train Department was disbanded in 1859.
In 1865, the Corps of Armourer–Sergeants was renamed the Military Store Staff Corps (MSSC). In 1869, the transport and supply functions of the MSSC were transferred to the new Army Service Corps (ASC) and the Military Store Department was renamed the Control Department.
The Royal Warrant dated 27 November 1875, abolished the title of Control Department. Two departments were formed designated respectively The Commissariat and Transport Department (CTD) and The Ordnance Store Department (OSD). Two years later the MSSC was transferred to the Army Service Corps as that unit's Ordnance Store Branch (OSB).
In 1881, The Ordnance Store Branch (OSB) was renamed the Ordnance Store Corps (OSC) which in 1896 became the Army Ordnance Corps (AOC). The Ordnance Store Department was renamed the Army Ordnance Department (AOD).
In November 1918, the Army Ordnance Corps (AOC) and the Army Ordnance Department (AOD) amalgamated to form a new Army Ordnance Corps. The prefix Royal was granted in 1918.
20 Apr 1821 Baptism of Henry Osmond Deverell son of Osmond Deverell Master Armourer Ordnance Department and Susannah, born on 2 April 1821.
22 June 1821 Widower George Parsons Foreman of Smiths in the Ordnance Department married Spinster Jennet Stillie of Glasgow. On 20 January 1826, Jennet Parsons, married John Allers, Head Baker in the Commissariat Department.
29 July 1914 Mobilisation Order received at midnight. By 01:00 hrs 30 July all depôts were opened and stores and equipment were prepared for issue before units arrived to draw them. All units in Malta had drew their ammunition by midnight 30 July other than the AP Corps.
5 Aug Under the provisions of the Defence Scheme the Assistant Director of Stores and Transport (ADST) was directed to complete four and a half months supplies including hospital supplies. The supplies were purchased locally and as quickly as possible as prices were rising. Fuel wood and coal to complete stocks to the required reserve were purchased from the contractors but in certain cases at prices in excess of the contract rates.
8 Aug Capt R. B. Tyrrell AOD took over the duties of Ordnance Department Malta as a temporary measure.
1,000 identity discs were manufactured for the Army Service Corps (ASC) hired transport drivers.
10 Aug Two hundred 15 pdr shells were issued to OC Fort Ricasoli Sub District in lieu of shell fitted with night tracers, not available.
20 Aug Orders received for Colonel Bunny (ADOS) and four officers to be made ready to proceed to England and 21 NCOs and men as can be spared.
3 Sep Four officers (Capt C R Jones, Capt Haley, Capt Pollock, Lt Sidney) and 21 men of Malta Stores 9 Coy AOC embarked for England on H T
5 Sep 1914 Colonel Bunny ADOS sailed for England in P&O S. S. India. Capt R. B. Tyrrell AOD took over the duties of Ordnance Department Malta and OC M.S. 9 Coy AOC and OC Mobilisation. Lieut Williams took over the duties of OC Magazines and OC Cashier in addition to other duties.
Stores and depôts
Ospizio depôt Store Section
M S 9 Coy AOC
12 Sep 2,000 blankets were sent to Ghajn Tuffieha in preparation for the Territorial Camp.
12 Oct 1914 Lieut A. J. Gatt RMA was attached to Ordnance department. He was to assist the ADOS at Headquarters Ordnance Office and sign documents on behalf of ADOS Malta Command. With the arrival of Lt Gatt RMA the post of OD Malta was suspended. Captain R. B. Tyrrell took over the duties of OC Ospizio depôt Store Section and visited the other depôts weekly on behalf of ADOS, who was also Censor Malta.
11 Jan 1915 Captain R. B. Tyrrell AOD was promoted Ordnance Officer 3rd Class with the rank of Major. Lieut S. Williams was promoted Deputy Commissary with the honorary rank of captain. Conductor S. Pegg was promoted Assistant Commissary of Ordnance with the honorary rank of Lieutenant. Lieut Luxtin took over the duties of Ordnance Officer Magazines from Capt Williams.
21 Jan Lt Col Maurice Spencer was appointed Ordnance Officer 1st Class and temporary Colonel from 8 December 1914. He was ADOS and Censor Malta.
25 Jan Lt Gatt RMA took over the duties of Ordnance Officer Mobilisation.
15 Mar Ordnance Stores issued camp equipment, carts and bicycles for 150 men proceeding to Gozo.
22 Mar Ordnance Stores issued long reins to Army Service Corps (ASC) for ambulance wagons carrying wounded up Margherita Hill Cospicua.
26 Mar 1915 Ordnance Stores issued bed boards and trestles to Forrest Hospital to supplement accommodation.
27 Mar Ordnance Stores issued hospital stores to officer in charge Barracks East to equip temporary hospital at Mtarfa. The issue of stores continued till 29th March.
29 Mar Major Tyrrell left for the Dardanelles in SS Errington Court to inspect the guns of HM Ships. Lieut A. J. Gatt RMA took over temporary command of M.S. G Coy AOC. Lieut S Pegg AOD took temporary charge of Ospizio depôt. Major Tyrrell returned from the Dardanelles on HMS Talbot on 10 April 1915.
29 Mar 1915 Local purchase of stores for Mtarfa Hospital.
31 Mar Ordnance Stores Malta altered the height of four Egyptian Pn. Ambulances to allow them to be driven through the Cottonera Gates.
5–7 Apr The Ospizio Stores received orders to manufacture 667 boards bed heads, 1500 bed boards (F.S.) and 98 bedside tables.
13 Apr Marina Stores received hospital clothing from contractors and was preparing to issue them.
14 Apr Ospizio Stores received an order for 200 boards bedhead, 201 tables bedside, 250 labels and several articles for the Valletta hospital.
24 Apr Hospital stores were shipped from England on S. S. Kashmir.
27 Apr Ospizio Stores reduced the height of two ambulances wagons and received orders for the manufacture of special splints and disinfecting tubs for hospitals.
27 Apr Major R. B. Tyrell AOD assumed the duties of ADOS on the admission of Colonel M. Spencer AOD to hospital.
17 May Large quantities of timber was purchased to manufacture hospital equipment.
20 May Demand for hospital equipment for 4000 beds received and forwarded to Supply Reserve Depôt.
29 May 1915 A consignment of hospital supplies arrived from England on S. S. Eden Hall.
17 Apr 1918 Baptism in the Barracca Church Valletta of Elizabeth Victoria Tickner born on 2 April 1918, daughter of Armourer SSgt Horace Tickner and Georgina Victoria, resident at 12 D Block Msida Bastion Floriana.
27 June 1920 Baptism in the Barracca Church Valletta of Lilian Doreen Butterfield born on 31 May 1920, daughter of Armourer SSgt Alfred Thomas Butterfield RAOC and Alice May, resident at No 1 D Block, Msida Bastion, Floriana.
2 Jan Baptism in the Barracca Church Valletta of Wynne Hamsley Fraser Lovett born on 30 September 1921, son of Sgt Lionel James Fraser Lovett and Winifred May, resident at Notre Dame Ravelin, Floriana.
1959 Commander Royal Army Ordnance Corps Malta (CRAOC) took responsibility for RAOC stores at Benghazi and Tripoli. The stores were mainly spares and ammunition for Centurion tanks. On 31 March 1963, the British Forces withdrawn from Tripoli, but held on to Benghazi, in Cyrenaica.
1964 The RAOC were spread over some 14 different locations despite a Depôt having being built for them before the 1939-45 War, which was occupied by the Royal Army Service Corps (RASC). The ammunition was centralised at Fort Mosta, and the Motor Transport (MT) stores at the main RAOC complex at Attard.
July 1970 HQ Royal Army Ordnance Corps (RAOC), and HQ Ordnance Depôt moved temporarily from Casement Barracks, Floriana, to St George's Barracks. Casement Barracks and the sites at the Ospizio and Sa Maison where handed back to the Maltese Government.