On 17 Jan 1824, Sir Thomas Maitland, Governor of Malta and Lord High Commissioner of the Ionian Islands, died at Floriana of apoplexy. He was attended in his final illness by Inspector of Hospital John Hennen, Staff Surgeon Broadfoot Alexander, and Inspector of Hospitals Robert Grieves .
Following the death of Maitland, Malta and the Ionian Islands reverted to two separate and distinct commands. On 7 June 1824, General Francis Rawdon Hastings, Marquess of Hastings, succeeded Maitland as Colonial Governor and Garrison Commander.
In 1824, Commanding Officers of regiments stationed in the Mediterranean were directed to enlist Maltese recruits in the proportion of 5 men to 100 British soldiers.
Jane Elizabeth Mary Collings, born on 18 September 1824, daughter of Joseph Becket Collings and Jane Elizabeth was baptised on 20 Sept 1824.
Francis Rawdan Balneavis, born on 23 Oct 1824, son of Brevet Lt Col Henry Balneavis and Georgina was baptised on 30 Nov 1824.
Henry Richardson, born on 30 Sep 1824, son of Benjamin Richardson Clerk to the Deputy Inspector of Hospitals and Sarah was baptised on 17 Oct 1824.
Andrew Forbes, son of Sgt Forbes died in Dec 1824, aged 9 months. (Military and Civil Cemetery Floriana 1801–1865).
General Hospital Valletta
The Great Ward of the Hospital of the Order of St John was erected in 1574, during the Grand Mastership of Jean de la Cassiere (1572–82). On 4 Feb 1660, the infirmary was enlarged and the Old Ward was extended to form the Great Ward. This measured 155 metres in length, 10.5 metres in width, and over 11 metres in height.
In Sept 1824, the General Hospital at Valletta was relinquished to the Ordnance and Barrack Department by the Civil Government. The Long Ward which had been leased to the firm of Woodhouse, wine merchants, was handed over to the Department of the Ordnance on 1 July 1826.
Floriana Burial Grounds
There were a number of cemeteries outside Valletta including the Greek Orthodox and Cholera Cemeteries.
Quarantine Bastion Cemetery was situated to the north of the road leading to the Hay Wharf from the Great Siege Road.
The Civil and Military Cemetery was situated to the north east of Msida Married Quarters to the south west of Great Siege Road.
Army Medical Staff
A list of all the Officers of the Army and Royal Marines. War Office 5 February 1824.
TNA:CO 158/37, Army Medical Department McGrigor to Taylor (15 July 1824).
TNA:WO 17/2235, Returns of the General and Staff Officers of the hospitals attached to the forces in Malta (25 January–25 December 1824).
TNA:WO 156/594. No 2, Baptism Register 2 January 1820 to 29 June 1839.