The 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment
The 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment was raised at Winchester in 1823, and was completed on 10 February 1824.
In April 1824, the 95th embarked on its first posting to Malta, where it was presented with its First Colours by the Marchioness of Hastings.
In November 1825, the 95th received its affiliation with the county of Derbyshire to become The 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment of Foot.
On 1 July 1881, the 95th merged with the 45th (1st Nottinghamshire–Sherwood Foresters) Regiment to form The 2nd Battalion The Sherwood Foresters (Derbyshire Regiment). The 45th became the 1st Battalion
The Maltese Cross, oak wreath, and stag are derived from the badge of the 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment. The Royal Stags formed the Supporters to the Arms of the City of Nottingham. The oak wreath derives from the old Nottinghamshire Militia which had an oak wreath in its badge in allusion to Sherwood Forest.
The 45th was raised in 1741. It was numbered 45th Foot in 1751, to which the title Nottinghamshire was added in 1782. In 1866, the regimental title changed to the 45th (Nottinghamshire–Sherwood Foresters) Regiment.
The 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment
1824 95th (Derbyshire)
27 Apr 1824 A detachment of 350 men arrived from England. It relieved the 18th Foot which embarked for the Ionian Islands. The rest of the 95th arrived on 7 June 1824.
7 June–Sep The 95th had 294 febrile cases of phlebotomus fever. All regiments which arrived at Malta during the summer were prone to suffer greatly from sand fly fever.
Marriages in 1824:
- 16 Oct Bachelor Sgt George Broyd married Ann Austin, widow of the late Sgt Thomas Austin 95th Regiment.
Baptisms in 1824:
- 7 July Janet Scotland Cusine daughter of Lt John Cusine and Isabella, born on 21 May 1824.
- 11 July Andrew Thorn son of Sgt James Thorn and Jane, born on 1 July.
- 19 Sep Elizabeth Jenkins daughter of Sgt John Jenkins and Elizabeth, born on 25 August 1824.
- 3 Oct Isabella McElwee daughter of Cpl James McElwee and Rachel, born on 27 September.
Burials in 1824:
- 1 July Capt W R Yorke 95th Regiment, aged 44 years, was buried at the Quarantine Bastion Cemetery Floriana.
- 1 Sep Sgt Austin Thomas 95th Regiment.
1825 95th (Derbyshire)
Burials in 1825:
- 12 Jan 1825 Pte Joseph Laws was buried at the Quarantine Bastion Cemetery Floriana.
Nov 1825 The 95th was associated with the county of Derbyshire for recruitment.
Baptisms in 1825:
- 30 Jan George Henry Radford son of Pte John and Charlotte Radford, born on 14 December 1824.
- 6 Feb Mary Anne Timmins daughter of Pte John and Bridget Timmins, born on 1 February 1825.
- 10 Apr William John son of Sgt John and Anne John, born on 26 March.
- 1 May Edward Smith son of Sgt Robert and Sarah Smith, born on 13 April.
- 5 June Eliza Anne Burgess daughter of Pte Thomas Burgess and Jane, born on 22 October 1824.
- 10 July Robert Hodge son of Sgt Robert Hodge and Catherine, born on 27 June 1825.
- 23 Oct Elizabeth Maria Ann Mills daughter of Sgt John George Mills and Lydia, born on 15 October.
1826 95th (Derbyshire)
1826 Strength: 523 men.
Marriages in 1826:
- 13 Jan Bachelor QM Francis Feneran to Anne Emilia Dowdall, widow of the late Brevet Major Patrick Dowdall 31st Regiment.
- 27 Apr Bachelor School Master Sgt Thomas Hawkes to Barbara Twyford, a spinster from Dublin.
- 4 June Bachelor CSgt James Murray to Maria Kingswell, a spinster daughter of James Kingswell, Blockmaker in the Naval Arsenal, of the Parish of St Nicholas Deptford in the County of Kent.
Baptisms in 1826:
- 29 Jan Mary Elizabeth Reed daughter of Sgt Charles George Reed and Mary Anne, born on 15 January 1826.
- 12 Mar John Jenkins son of Sgt John Jenkins and Elizabeth, born on 26 February.
- 16 May Timothy Holland son of Cpl Andrew Holland and Jane, born on 1 April 1826 was publicly received into the church on 16 July.
- 25 May Jane Burgess daughter of Pte Thomas Burgess and Jane, born on 25 May.
- 11 June Joseph Bailey son of Sgt Joseph Bailey and Mary Ann, born on 2 June.
- 9 July William Thorn son of Sgt James Thorn and Jane, born on 18 June.
- 6 Sep Private baptism of Thomas Browne Feneran son of QM Francis Feneran and Anne Emilia, born on 24 August 1826.
1827 95th (Derbyshire)
25 Oct Strength: Rank and File (Effective) 523, Rank and File (Establishment) 516.
Marriages in 1827:
- 23 July Widower Pte Samuel Procter to Mary Ann Regazzo, spinster daughter of Gaetano Regazzo, Assistant Provost Sgt in the Cottonera District.
Burials in 1827:
- 16 Aug Pte Philip Lovejoy, aged 21 years was buried at the Quarantine Bastion Cemetery Floriana.
- 10 Nov Lt Col Alexander Campbell Wylly CB commanding 95th Regiment, aged 39 years was buried at the Quarantine Bastion Cemetery Floriana.
Baptisms in 1827:
- 25 Feb Thomas Fitzgerald Hawkes son of School Master Sgt Thomas Hawkes and Barbara, born on 24 January 1827.
- 29 Mar William Rafter son of Pay Master Michael Rafter and Catherine Amelia, born on 17 February.
- 16 June Elizabeth Ellis daughter of Sgt Maj Anthony Ellis and Susannah, born on 31 May.
- 15 July George Hodge son of CSgt Robert Hodge and Catherine, born on 1 July.
- 21 Oct John John son of Sgt John John and Anne, born on 14 October 1827 and publicly admitted into the church on 28 October.
- 22 Oct James Thomas Fraser son of Capt James Fraser and Margaret, born on 2 September.
1828 95th (Derbyshire)
25 Aug 1828 Strength: 492 men (6 coys).
Baptisms in 1828:
- 29 Jan John Augustus Feneran son of QM Francis Feneran and Anne Emilia, born on 1 December 1827.
- 28 Feb Emily Melita Dickens daughter of Capt George Mordaunt Dickens and Emily Charlotte, born on 28 January 1828.
- 27 Apr Charles Thom son of CSgt James Thom and Jane, born on 15 April.
- 18 May Lindley James Murray son of CSgt James Murray and Maria, born on 26 April.
- 16 Nov John Hawkes son of School Master Sgt Thomas Hawkes and Barbara, born on 4 November.
- 24 Nov George Hamilton Gordon son of Lt Robert Gumming Hamilton Gordon and Frances, born on 5 November 1828. He was publicly received into the church on 20 April 1829.
Burials in 1828:
- 27 Jan Sgt Charles Deedes 95th Regiment, (Military and Civil Cemetery Floriana).
- July 1828 Sgt Robert Hodge 95th Regiment, (Quarantine Bastion Cemetery Floriana).
1829 95th (Derbyshire)
Dec 1829 The 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment embarked for Corfu.
Marriages in 1829:
- 21 Mar Bachelor CSgt John Brown to Judith Leeson, spinster of the Parish of St Helier, Jersey.
- 24 Aug Bachelor Ensign John Wardle of the Parish of Daventry in the County of Northampton, to Teresa Josephine Zimelli, spinster of the Parish of St Maria di Porto Salvo, Valletta Malta.
- 27 Oct Bachelor Cpl Edward Beer to Mary Anne Kingswell, spinster daughter of James Kingswell, Blockmaker in the Naval Arsenal, of the Parish of St Nicholas Deptford, Kent.
Baptisms in 1829:
- 9 Aug Maria Louisa Murray daughter of CSgt James Murray and Maria, born on 21 July 1829.
- 16 Aug Edward Michael Kilfoyle son of Hospital Sgt Timothy Kilfoyle and Elizabeth, born on 6 August.
- 5 Sep Susannah Maria Wilhelmina Feneran daughter of QM Francis Feneran and Anne Emilia, born on 18 March.
- 23 Oct Henry Rasser son of Paymaster Michael Rasser and Catherine Amelia, born on 20 September.
1830 95th (Derbyshire)
8 Jan 1830 The 2nd Division consisting of 173 men embarked for Corfu.
Burials in 1830:
- 23 Aug 1830 Sgt John Jones aged 28 years.
The 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment
1854 95th (Derbyshire)
14 Apr 1854 The 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment arrived from England on its way to the Crimea.
Burials in 1854:
- 3 Dec Pte Thomas Burken 95th Regiment.
- 4 Dec Mary Anne Dempsy aged 6 weeks, daughter of Pte Dempsy 95th Regiment.
1855 95th (Derbyshire)
Burials in 1855:
- 4 Jan 1855 Pte William Rodgers 95th Regiment.
1856 95th (Derbyshire)
- Farmer J. S., 1984. The regimental records of the British Army Reprint Edition, Trowbridge, Wiltshire: Crecy Books.
- Edwards T. J., 1980. Regimental Badges First Edition, Tonbridge, Kent: Ernest Benn Ltd.
- Famous Units. The National Army Museum. Available from http://www.nam.ac.uk/research/famous-units.
- Cannon J., 1990, The Quarantine Bastion Cemetery Malta. Bucks Cannon Associates.
- TNA:WO 156/122; List of gravestones at the Military and Civil Cemetery 1801–1865 and the Quarantine Bastion Cemetery 1819–1867 compiled by the Rev D B L Foster Assistant Chaplain General Western Mediterranean in May 1939.
- TNA:WO 156/113. Register of burials September 1853 to June 1862.
- TNA:WO 156/594. No 2, Marriage Register 1 January 1820 to 12 June 1839.
- TNA:WO 156/594. No 2, Baptism Register 2 January 1820 to 29 June 1839.