The 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment
The 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment was raised at Winchester in 1823, and was completed on 10 February 1824.
In April 1824, the 95th embarked on its first posting to Malta, where it was presented with its First Colours by the Marchioness of Hastings.
In November 1825, the 95th received its affiliation with the county of Derbyshire to become The 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment of Foot.
The 45th became the 1st Battalion; the 95th became the 2nd Battalion.
The Maltese Cross, oak wreath, and stag are derived from the badge of the 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment. The Royal Stags formed the Supporters to the Arms of the City of Nottingham. The oak wreath derives from the old Nottinghamshire Militia which had an oak wreath in its badge in allusion to Sherwood Forest.
The 45th was raised in 1741. It was numbered 45th Foot in 1751, to which the title Nottinghamshire was added in 1782. In 1866, the regimental title changed to the 45th (Nottinghamshire–Sherwood Foresters) Regiment.
The 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment
1824 95th (Derbyshire)
27 Apr 1824 A detachment of 350 men arrived from England. It relieved the 18th Foot which embarked for the Ionian Islands. The rest of the 95th arrived on 7 June 1824.
Malta 7 June–Sept 1824 The 95th had 294 febrile cases of phlebotomus fever. All regiments which arrived at Malta during the summer were prone to suffer greatly from sand fly fever.
The following was married in Malta in 1824:
- 16 Oct Bachelor Sgt George Boyd to Ann Austin, widow of Sgt Thomas Austin 95th Regiment.
The following were baptized in Malta in 1824:
- 7 July Janet Scotland Cusine daughter of Lt John Cusine and Isabella, born on 21 May 1824.
- 11 July Andrew Thorn son of Sgt James Thorn and Jane, born on 1 July 1824.
- 3 Oct Isabella McElwee daughter of Cpl James McElwee and Rachel, born on 27 September 1824.
The following died in Malta in 1824:
- 1 July Capt W R Yorke 95th Regiment, aged 44 years. (Quarantine Bastion Cemetery Floriana).
- 1 Sept Sgt Austin Thomas 95th Regiment.
1825 95th (Derbyshire)
Malta Nov 1825 The 95th was associated with the county of Derbyshire for recruitment.
The following were baptized in Malta in 1825:
- 30 Jan George Henry Radford son of Pte John and Charlotte Radford, born on 17 December 1824.
- 6 Feb Mary Anne Timmins daughter of Pte John and Bridget Timmins, born on 1 February 1825.
- 10 Apr William John son of Sgt John and Anne John, born on 26 March 1825.
- 1 May Edward Smith son of Sgt Robert and Sarah Smith, born on 13 April 1825.
- 5 June Eliza Anne Burgess daughter of Pte Thomas Burgess and Jane, born on 22 October 1824.
- 10 July Robert Hodge son of Sgt Robert and Catherine, born on 27 June 1825.
- 23 Oct Elizabeth Maria Ann Mills daughter of Sgt John George Mills and Lydia, born on 15 October 1825.
The following were buried in Malta in 1825:
- 12 Jan Pte Joseph Laws (Quarantine Bastion Cemetery Floriana).
1826 95th (Derbyshire)
The following were married in Malta in 1826:
- 13 Jan Bachelor QM Francis Feneran to Anne Emilia Dowdall, widow of Brigade Major Patrick Dowdall 31st Regiment.
- 27 Apr Bachelor Schoolmaster Sgt Thomas Hawkes to Barbara Twyford, a spinster from Dublin.
- 4 June Bachelor CSgt James Murray to Maria Kingswell, a spinster daughter of James Kingswell, Blockmaker in the Naval Arsenal, of the Parish of St Nicholas Deptford in the County of Kent.
The following were baptized in Malta in 1826:
Malta 1826 Strength: 523 men.
- 29 Jan Mary Elizabeth Reed daughter of Sgt Charles George Reed and Mary Anne, born on 15 January 1826.
- 12 Mar John Jenkins son of Sgt John Jenkins and Elizabeth, born on 26 February 1826.
- 16 May Timothy Holland son of Cpl Andrew Holland and Jane, born on 1 April 1826 was publicly received into the church on 16 July 1826.
- 25 May Jane Burgess daughter of Pte Thomas Burgess and Jane, born on 25 May 1826.
- 11 June Joseph Bailey son of Sgt Joseph Bailey and Mary Ann, born on 2 June 1826.
- 9 July William Thorn son of Sgt James Thorn and Jane, born on 18 June 1826.
- 6 Sept Thomas Browne Feneran son of QM Francis Feneran and Anne Emilia, born on 24 August 1826.
1827 95th (Derbyshire)
Malta 25 Oct 1827 Strength: Rank and File (Effective) 523, Rank and File (Establishment) 516.
The following were married in Malta in 1827:
- 23 July Widower Pte Samuel Procter to Mary Ann Regezgo, spinster daughter of Gaetano Regezgo, Assistant Provost Sgt in the Cottonera District.
The following were baptized in Malta in 1827:
- 25 Feb Thomas Fitzgerald son of School Master Sgt Thomas Hawkes and Rebecca, born on 24 January 1827.
- 29 Mar William Rafter son of Pay Master Michael Rafter and Catherine Amelia, born on 17 February 1827.
- 16 June Elizabeth Ellis daughter of Sgt Maj Anthony Ellis and Susannah, born on 31 May 1827.
- 15 July George Hodge son of CSgt Robert Hodge and Catherine, born on 1 July 1827.
- 21 Oct John John son of Sgt John John and Anne, born on 14 October 1827 and publicly admitted into the church 28 October 1827.
- 22 Oct James Thomas Fraser son of Capt James Fraser and Margaret, born on 2 September 1827.
The following died in Malta in 1827:
- 16 Aug Pte Philip Lovejoy, aged 21 years. (Quarantine Bastion Cemetery Floriana).
- 10 Nov Lt Col Alexander Campbell Wylly CB commanding 95th Regiment, aged 39 years. (Quarantine Bastion Cemetery Floriana).
1828 95th (Derbyshire)
Malta 25 Aug 1828 Strength: 492 men (6 coys).
The following were baptized in Malta in 1828:
- 29 Jan John Augustus Feneran son of QM Francis Feneran and Anne Emilia, born on 1 December 1827.
- 28 Feb Emily Melita Dickens daughter of Captain George Mordaunt Dickens and Anne Emily Charlotte, born on 28 January 1828.
- 27 Apr Charles Thorn son of CSgt James Thorn and Janey, born on 15 April 1828.
- 18 May Lindley James Murray son of CSgt James Murray and Maria, born on 26 April 1828.
- 16 Nov John Hawked son of School Master Sgt Thomas Hawkes and Barbara, born on 4 November 1828.
- 24 Nov George Hamilton Gordon son of Lt Robert Gumming Hamilton Gordon and Frances, born on 5 November 1828. He was publicly received into the church on 20 April 1829.
The following were buried in Malta in 1828:
- 27 Jan Sgt Charles Deedes 95th Regiment, (Military and Civil Cemetery Floriana).
- July 1828 Sgt Robert Hodge 95th Regiment, (Quarantine Bastion Cemetery Floriana).
1829 95th (Derbyshire)
Malta Dec 1829 The 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment embarked for Corfu.
The following were married in Malta in 1829:
- 21 Mar Bachelor CSgt John Brown to Judith Leeson, spinster of the Parish of St Helier, Jersey.
- 24 Aug Bachelor Ensign John Wardle of the Parish of Daventry in the County of Northampton, to Teresa Josephine Zimelli, spinster of the Parish of St Maria di Porto Salvo, Valletta Malta.
- 27 Oct Bachelor Cpl Edward Beer to Mary Anne Kingswell, spinster daughter of James Kingswell, Blockmaster in the Naval Arsenal, of the Parish of St Nicholas Deptford in the County of Kent.
The following were baptized in Malta in 1829:
- 9 Aug Maria Louisa Murray daughter of CSgt James Murray and Maria, born on 21 July 1829.
- 16 Aug Edward Michael Kilfoyle son of Hospital Sgt Timothy Kilfoyle and Elizabeth, born on 6 August 1829.
- 5 Sept Susannah Maria Wilhelmina Feneran daughter of QM Francis Feneran and Anne Emilia, born on 18 March 1829.
- 23 Oct Henry Passer son of Paymaster Michael Passer and Catherine Amelia, born on 20 September 1829.
1830 95th (Derbyshire)
Malta 8 Jan 1830 The 2nd Division consisting of 173 men embarked for Corfu.
Malta 23 Aug 1830 Burial of Sgt John Jones aged 28 years.
The 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment
1854 95th (Derbyshire)
Malta 14 Apr 1854 The 95th (Derbyshire) Regiment arrived from England on its way to the Crimea.
The following were buried at Malta in 1854:
- 3 Dec Pte Thomas Burken 95th Regiment.
- 4 Dec Mary Anne Dempsy aged 6 weeks, daughter of Pte Dempsy 95th Regiment.
1855 95th (Derbyshire)
The following was buried at Malta in 1855:
- 4 Jan Pte William Rodgers 95th Regiment.
1856 95th (Derbyshire)
- Famous Units. The National Army Museum. Available from http://www.nam.ac.uk/research/famous-units.
- Farmer, J. S., 1984. The regimental records of the British Army Reprint Edition, Trowbridge, Wiltshire: Crecy Books.
- Edwards, T. J., 1980. Regimental Badges First Edition, Tonbridge, Kent: Ernest Benn Ltd.
- TNA:WO 156/122; List of gravestones at the Military and Civil Cemetery 1801–1865 and the Quarantine Bastion Cemetery 1819–1867 compiled by the Rev D B L Foster Assistant Chaplain General Western Mediterranean in May 1939.
- Cannon J., 1990, The Quarantine Bastion Cemetery Malta. Bucks Cannon Associates.
- TNA:WO 156/113. Register of burials September 1853 to June 1862.
- TNA:WO 156/594. No 2, Marriage Register 1 January 1820 to 12 June 1839.
- TNA:WO 156/594. No 2, Baptism Register 2 January 1820 to 29 June 1839.