The Regimental Hospitals of the Infantry Regiments in Valletta were colocated with the General Hospital. The building had been the former Sacra Infermeria of the Order of St John of Jerusalem. The General Hospital also served as the quarters for the medical staff of the Army Medical Department stationed on the island.
The hospital was managed by the Barrack Department and had the layout shown in the accompanying plans. The plan of the ground floor of the Barrack Quadrangle shows the quarters of the Physician to the Forces and of the Staff Assistant Surgeons in 19 October 1826. That of the upper floor of the Barrack Quadrangle shows the quarters of the Physician to the Forces, Apothecary and Purveyor Clerk. The Long Ward was redundant and had initially been leased out to a wine merchant and then became a rope walk. It was called back into service during the war in the Crimea.
On 16 Feb 1825, the Director General of the Army Medical Department sought permission from Earl Bathurst to appoint an additional surgeon on the staff at Malta in consequence of the great prevalence of disease in that island.
On 13 Apr 1825, the Secretary at War, ordered the Regimental Hospitals to submit their accounts quarterly instead of half yearly, that is, on the 24 Mar, 24 June, 24 Sept and 24 December.