The average strength of the garrison was 2,504. In 1844, Maj-Gen Harding inspected the fortifications and recommended 6,000 men as an appropriate number of troops for the garrison, These were to be distributed accordingly: Valletta: 2,000 men, Floriana: 1,000 men, Three Cities: 2,000 men, Fort Ricasoli: 500 men, Fort Manoel: 300 men, Fort Tigne: 200 men.
Assistant Naval Surgeon, Mr Weld, aged 24 years of HMS Queen died on 19 Mar 1844. He had pricked his finger while performing a post mortem and died of blood poisoning or septicaemia.
Weld was laid to rest at the Protestant Burying ground Floriana.
In Oct 1838, Dowager Queen Adelaide, who had visited Malta for the benefit of her health, provided funds for building a place of worship for the Protestant Community in Malta. St Paul's Anglican Cathedral, was built on the site of the former Auberge d'Allemagne Valletta.
The church was consecrated on 1 November 1844, though the building was not completed until a year later.
- Hart H. G., The New Annual Army List 29 December 1844.
- TNA:WO 17/2150, Returns of the General and staff officers of the hospitals attached to the Forces in Malta (1 January–31 December 1844).
- TNA:CO 158/165, Reid to NewCastle dated 19 January 1853.