Regiments of the Malta Garrison Malta Coast Artillery
Militia Coast Artillery
The Militia Coast Artillery was formed in 1801. It consisted of two companies based at St Paul's Bay and Marsaxlokk, with detachments manning the coastal towers. It was commanded by Captain John Vivion RA.
The Treaty of Amiens stipulated that the Malta garrison was to comprise of local and Neapolitan troops. The 2,000 Maltese troops were to consist of two infantry battalions of 700 men each (The Provincials), one battalion of Coast Artillery of 300 men, and one battalion of Veterans of 300 men.
In 1803, the Militia Coast Artillery became the Malta Coast Artillery.
1802 The Maltese Militia and two companies of Militia Coast Artillery were reorganised into the Provincial Battalions of 700 men each, one battalion of Coast Artillery of 300 men and one battalion of Veterans of the same strength.