111999 WS/Captain (T/Major) George Gillis Hyman Bernstein
MBE MB ChB
? — ?
15 May 1940 Appointed medical officer in charge troops Mellieha Sector vice Lt D M Raynes. Carried medical inspection of No 24th RE Post at Marfa Point and the Beach Posts and Platoon HQ of D Coy 1st/KOMR, Fort Campbell and Torri L'Abjad (white Tower).
28 May 1940 Posted to General Hospital Mtarfa for duty. Handed over M I R Mellieha to Surgeon Lt V Sammut RMA.
19 Dec 1940 Held routine sick parades at MAP Attard. The MAP was opened on 18 December 1940, and staffed by L/Cpl Williams, Pte Wildman, Pte Nock and one MAC Driver. It had unit stretcher bearers from 4th/Buffs and 8th/Manchester.
1941 Medical specialist 90 General Hospital Mtarfa.
1942 Medical specialist 90 General Hospital Mtarfa.
1943 Medical Specialist 90 General Hospital Mtarfa.
14 Oct 1943 Appointed an Additional Member of the Military Division of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Malta (London Gazette). DDMS Malta Colonel William Kenneth Morrison wrote: "As medical specialist he has been in charge of all cases of anterior poliomyelitis in their acute stage, during the recent epidemic. By day and night he has answered all calls made upon him. By his professional skills and unremitting care he has been largely responsible for the early diagnosis and treatment of these cases. At all times his work has been of a high standard and of benefit to the personnel of the unit."
19 Mar 1944 Medical Specialist. Posted from 90 GH to No 3 GH.
May 1946 War Substantive Captain H G G Bernstein relinquished his commission and was granted the honorary rank of Lieut Colonel RAMC.
- TNA:WO 177/112, Medical Diaries MAP Attard, December 1940 to June 1941.
- TNA:WO 177/751, War Diaries No 161st (East Anglian) Field Ambulance RAMC September 1939 to September 1943.
- TNA:WO 177/1287, War Diaries No 45 General Hospital May 1941 to April 1946.
- TNA:WO 177/1360, War Diaries No 90 General Hospital April 1940 to September 1946.
- Bernstein H G G, Clark J M P, Tunbridge R E, Acute Anterior Poliomyelitis among Service Personnel in Malta, Br Med J (1945) 1:763, (Published 2 June 1945).