1230 Surgeon Thomas Campbell Tolmie
LFPS (Glas 1861) LRCS (Ed 1866)
9 July 1839 [Dalnamine] – 12 May 1919 [North Finchley]
Surgeon Major Thomas Campbell Tolmie was educated at Glasgow. He qualified in 1861 as a Licentiate of the Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow. In 1866, he became a Licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians Edinburgh.
Surgeon-Major Thomas Campbell Tolmie served in Egypt at the Battle of Tel-el-Kebir and received the medal with clasp and the Khedive's bronze star. He was injured in the explosion and fire at the railway station Cairo in September 1882. In 1885–86, he served in the Sudan as secretary to the Principal Medical Officer of the Frontier Field Force and was present in the Battle of Giniss (clasp) on 30 December 1885.
Surgeon-Major Thomas Campbell Tolmie died at North Finchley on 12 May 1919, aged 79 years.
Service Record — Thomas Campbell Tolmie
1 Apr 1867 Staff Assistant Surgeon.
12 Oct 1867 Appointed Assistant Surgeon 92nd (Gordon Highlanders) Regiment of Foot.
1 Mar 1873 Promoted Surgeon.
Apr 1873 Posted from 92nd Foot to the Staff Bengal.
June 1874 Moved from Bengal to Manchester.
1875 – 1876 On duty in Birmingham.
1877 On duty in Sunderland.
Malta 18 Dec 1877 Arrived at Malta from Scarborough, England.
Malta 1878 On garrison duty.
Malta 1 Apr 1879 Promoted Surgeon–Major.
Malta 7 Aug 1879 To England on leave.
Malta 29 Nov 1879 Returned to Malta.
Malta 1880 On garrison duty.
Malta 6 June 1881 Returned to England.
Malta 14 Sept 1881 Returned to Malta.
Malta 7 July 1882 Selected to proceed on active service with the Egyptian Expeditionary Force. Was present at the Battle of Tel-el-Kebir.
1885–1886 Served in the Sudan as secretary to the PMO of the Frontier Field Force.
Aug 1886 Moved from Egypt to Woolwich.
3 Aug 1887 Granted retired pay with the honorary rank of Brigade–Surgeon.
- Entry No: 6342. Johnston W. Roll of Commissioned Offices in the Medical Service of the British Army. Vol 1 (20 June 1727-23 June 1898), Aberdeen (1917).
- RAMC/PE/3/27/Drew. Manuscript for Drew's Roll.
- Succession Book Vol 14. Returns of service of medical officers in the Regular Army.
- Naval and Military Medical Services Br Med J (1887), 382 (Published 13 Aug 1887).
- Naval and Military Medical Services Br Med J (1886), 396 (Published 21 Aug 1886).
- Obituary Br Med J (1919); 1: 755 (Published 14 June 1919).