RAMC

Medical Officers of the Malta Garrison
1947

search maltaramc

Malta Garrison – 1947

Regimental Medical Officers

Events 1947

Malta Command

On 1 April 1947, Malta Command came under the administration of Middle East Land Forces (MELF). Tripolitania and Cyrenaica came under the administration of Malta Command from 1 July 1947.

The 2nd/Royal Sussex Regiment left Malta on 3 June, and the 2nd/Royal Scots Regiment on 19 June 1947. On 10 June 1947, the Malta Garrison was made up of the 3rd/Royal Marine Commando Brigade.

  • HQ 3rd Cdo Bde was at St Patricks Barracks
  • 40 Cdo at Mtarfa Barracks
  • 42 Cdo at St Andrews Barracks
  • 45 Cdo at Ghadira Camp

Three Surgeon Lieutenants RNVR accompanied each Commando regiment as Medical Officers on the War Establishment with a Sick Bay staff of six per regiment RN ratings.

Malta Garrison August 1947

  • Army
    • British Troops: 192 officers, 1318 ORs
    • Maltese Troops: 59 officers, 1511 ORs
    • British Troops: 299 wives, 514 children
    • Maltese Troops: 1306 wives, 3740 children
  • Royal Navy
    • British personnel: 618 wives, 533 children
    • Maltese personnel: 1114 wives, 2296 children
    • RM Commando: 105 officers, 1542 ORs
  • RAF
    • RAF British and Maltese Troops: 132 officers, 1488 ORs
    • British personnel: 156 wives, 185 children
    • Maltese personnel: 342 wives, 814 children
  • POW German: 1 officer, 832 ORs

3 Commando Brigade RM

3 Commando Brigade RM arrived from Hong Kong in June 1947. In Jan 1948, 40 Cdo RM moved to Haifa and 42 and 45 Cdo RM went to Tripolitania.

On 21 July 1949, the Commando Brigade left for Hong Kong. Although predominantly a Royal Marine Commando Brigade a few army commandos also served with the Brigade and wore the green beret.

Constitutional Reform

In Jan 1947, a White Paper was published on constitutional reform in Malta.

In Oct 1947, the first elections under the new constitution were held. The Malta Labour Party under the leadership of Dom Mintoff emerged victorious. The new Legislative assembly met in Nov 1947.

No 90 Military Hospital Mtarfa

On 1 January 1947, No 90 Military Hospital was reduced from 300 to 200 beds. The establishment of Nursing Sisters for No 30 Coy RAMC was 28.

On 15 June 1947, the designation of the Military Hospital was changed on the authority of the DMS MELF from 90 Military Hospital to British Military Hospital Malta.

The strength was of 5 officers (1 SMO, 2 GDMOs at MIRs, 1 Coy Officer, 1 OC Military Families Hospital), 6 Nursing Officers (1 Sister i/c Military Families Hospital, 1 Theatre Sister, 4 Midwives), and 50 ORs No 30 Coy RAMC.

References

  1. Drew R: Commissioned Officers in the Medical Services of the British Army Vol II. Roll of Officers in the Royal Army Medical Corps 1898–1960. London The Wellcome Historical Medical Library 1968.
  2. TNA:WO 177/1886, War Diaries 30 Coy RAMC 1 January 1943 to 30 June 1946.
  3. TNA:WO 177/1360, War Diaries No 90 British General Hospital Apr 1940 to September 1946.
  4. TNA:WO 265/60. Quarterly Historical Reports, 90 Military Hospital Mtarfa, 31 December 1946.
  5. TNA:WO 265/1. Quarterly Historical Reports, Headquarters Malta Command, 30 September - 31 December 1946.