The peace establishment of the RAMC in Malta in 1914 was 23 officers, including 2 quartermasters, 150 other ranks and 12 nursing sisters of the Queen Alexandra Imperial Military Nursing Service. On the start of the Great War, the majority of regular RAMC officers were withdrawn from Malta for active service elsewhere, and replaced by four RAMC Territorial Force officers (TF), and four officers and 193 men of the 1st (City of London) Field Ambulance TF.
Malta had four military hospitals. The Station Hospital Cottonera with 278 beds was the main hospital and HQ of 30 Coy RAMC. At Mtarfa Barracks was the Mtarfa Barrack Hospital with 55 beds; at St Julians was the Forrest Hospital with 20 beds which was used mainly for venereal diseases. In Valletta was the Station and Military Families Hospital with 36 beds, of which, all but 10 constituted the hospital of the Royal Malta Artillery. In addition there was a small military hospital at Fort Chambray Gozo and the large Royal Naval Hospital Bighi.
Floriana Barracks, Verdala Barracks and Fort San Salvatore were used to intern German POWs from the cruisers Emden and Breslau. Among the prisoners from the Emden was Franz Joseph Prinz von Hohenzollern who was not repatriated until 12 Nov 1919.
|Garrison Strength Malta August 1914|
|Army Service Corps||12||101|
|Army Vet Corps||1||0|
|Army Ord Corps||10||47|
|Army Pay Corps||0||21|