The average strength of the garrison was 108 officers and 2,592 men.
On 1 Oct 1836, Maj-Gen Henry Frederick Bouverie became Governor and Commander-in-Chief of the Malta Garrison. From 1836, Malta reverted to being administered by a Governor rather than by a Lieutenant Governor as it had been since 1827. Hector Grieg, a former superintendent of the Quarantine Department, became Chief Secretary to the Government, vice Frederick Hankey.
The following were buried in the Naval Hospital Burial Ground from 1 Jan to Aug 1836:
- 4 Jan: Seaman John Wright HMS Vernon.
- 4 Mar: Barrack Sgt Andrew Stewart 49 years.
- 13 Mar: Catherine McDougall 47 years.
- 12 Apr: Jane Birkett aged 40 years.
- 18 May: Purser William E. Bushall HMS Vernon.
- 12 June: Pte Marine John Hay (alias Mailott) HMS Thunderer.
- Pte Marine William West HMS Barham.
- Boatswain's mate John Hayes HMS Pluto.
- Pte Marine William Hacklate HMS Caledonia.
- Dmr Marine John Lucas HMS Thunderer.
- Able Seaman Thomas Adams HMS Canopus.
- Ordinary Robert Scarlett HMS Thunderer.
- Able Seaman John Wright HMS Vernon.
- Boy Henry Morey HMS Thunderer.
- Pte Marine John Nanstone HMS Canopus.
- 7 Aug: Henry Jones Kerby 19 days, son of Thomas Kerby, a Chelsea out Pensioner.
- 10 Aug: Benjamin Atkinson aged 2 weeks, son of Benjamin Atkinson Town Major's clerk.
- 20 Aug: Able Seaman Mathew Calvin 31 years, HMS Barham.
Burials during Oct, Nov, Dec 1836 from the Naval Hospital Malta.
- Pte Marine Thomas Cooper HMS Vernon.
- Pte Marine George Cunell HMS Edinburgh.
- Ordinary Charles Bayley HMS Canopus.
- Gun Crew Joseph Russell HMS Thunderer.
- Pte Marine Joseph Searle HMS Caledonia.
- Pte Marine William Freeman HMS Asia.
- Pte Marine Stephen Grer HMS Vanguard.
- Gun Crew John Richardson HMS Revenge.
- Pte Marine Joseph Price HMS Vernon.
- 26 Dec: Midshipman Edward Augustus Down HMS Vanguard.
- Ordinary Charles Ford HMS Vanguard.
- Boy George Gillman HMS Barham.
- Seaman Francesco Mizzi HMS Asia.