Up to 1806, the Medical Department of the Navy was the responsibility of the Commissioners for Sick and Wounded Seamen, commonly called the Sick and Hurt Board.
In that year it was taken over by the Medical Committee of the Transport Board and in 1817, by the Medical Committee of the Victualling Board. On the abolition of that body in 1832, it passed to the Department of the Physician of the Navy within the Admiralty.
In 1835, that official was renamed Physician General, but in 1834 the name changed to Inspector General of Naval Hospitals and Fleets. In 1844, he became known as Medical Director General.