Medical Officers of the Malta Garrison Robinson Stapylton Chapman Bates
Colonel Stapylton Chapman Bates Robinson
CB 21 May 1855 [Cape Town] – 7 Mar 1927 [Hoddesdon]
Colonel Stapylton Chapman Bates Robinson was the son of Major General Stapylton Robinson and grandson of Benjamin Robinson. He was educated at St Thomas's Hospital London and after holding an appointment as House Surgeon entered the Army on 5 February 1881. He became Colonel on 21 January 1909.
He served in the South African War of 1899–1902. He took part in the advance on Kimberley, including actions at Belmont, Enslin, Modder River and Magersfontein, operations in the Orange Free State, including operations at Paardeberg, Poplar Grove and Dreifontein and the operations in the Transvaal, including actions near Johannesburg, Pretoria, Diamond Hill and Belfast. He received the Queen's Medal with seven clasps and the King's Medal with two clasps.
Colonel Stapylton Chapman Bates Robinson retired on 21 May 1912. He was re-employed during the war of 1914–1919 and held the command of the Queen Mary General Hospital Whalley, Lancashire until the termination of the war. He was mentioned in despatches (London Gazette 25 January 1917) and created a Commander of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath (CB).
Colonel Stapylton Chapman Bates Robinson was a man of ability and decided character and was recognized as a highly efficient officer. After retirement he was Honorary County Director, the Herefordshire VAD, Chairman District Branch of the British Legion and a member of the East Herts Benevolent Committee for ex-servicemen and Chairman of the Hoddesdon Boy Scouts Association.
Service Record — Stapylton Chapman Bates Robinson
5 Feb 1881 Appointed Surgeon.
Mar 1887 Change of Station from Bengal to Pembroke Docks.
Jan 1889 Change of Station from Netley to Devonport.
June 1890 Change of Station from Devonport to Okehampton.
Sept 1890 Change of Station from Okehampton to Devonport.
Malta 1895 Officer in charge Station Hospital Fort Chambray Gozo.
Malta 1896 Officer in charge Station Hospital Fort Chambray Gozo.
11 Aug 1896 Home leave.
20 Nov 1896 Returned from leave.
Malta 1897 On duty at Station Hospital Valletta. Resident at 111 Strada Santa Lucia.
11 Feb 1897 Left for York England.
June 1897 Change of Station from York to Leeds.
Jan 1898 Change of Station from Leeds to York.
1899–1902 Served in South Africa with No 10 Field Hospital 3rd Brigade from North Eastern District (No 8 Company).
5 Feb 1901 Promoted Lieutenant Colonel RAMC.
June 1903 Posted to Colchester.
13 Aug 1904 Birth of a son at Colchester to Constance Mary Robinson wife of Lieutenant Colonel S C B Robinson.
Oct 1906 Change of Station from Colchester to India.
June 1908 Serving in India. Appointed to act as Principal Medical Officer, Bombay Brigade, vice
Colonel Robert Hall Forman appointed to act as Principal Medical Officer (6th Poona) Division.
Sept 1908 Change of Station from Bombay to Ahmednagar. In June 1908, Lieutenant Colonel Michael Thomas Yarr was appointed to the command of the station hospital Ahmednagar, vice Lieutenant Colonel S C B Robinson.
21 June 1909 Promoted Colonel.
June 1910 Principal Medical Officer, 5th (Mhow) Division, Indian Army. Was granted leave of absence for four months.
Nov 1911 Change of Station from Cherat to Peshawar.
ADMS Jubbulpore and Jhansi Brigades and the Peshawar Division.
21 May 1912 Retired on to retired pay.
1914–1919 Held the command of the Queen Mary General Hospital Whalley, Lancashire until the termination of the war.
7 Mar 1927 Died at his residence at Hoddesdon Hertfordshire.
His son Major John Stapylton Robinson 65 Field Regiment RA was killed in action on 1 October 1944, aged 40 years and lies buried at Coriano Ridge War Cemetery Italy.
Entry No: 6804. Johnston W. Roll of Commissioned Offices in the Medical Service of the British Army. Vol 1 (20 June 1727-23 June 1898), Aberdeen (1917).
Malta Army and Navy directory at the Malta Chronicle office November 1895.
Succession Books Vol XVI, Returns of statement of service of RAMC Officers.
Medical arrangements for the Transvaal. Brit Med J (1899); 2:1048 (14 October 1899).