No 322 Assistant Surgeon Frederick William Moore MRCS (Eng 1853)
14 Nov 1830 [Quebec] – 13 Feb 1905
Brigade–Surgeon Frederick William Moore was commissioned Assistant Surgeon on 23 October 1853. In 1877, he served as the Principal Medical Officer of the Jowaki Afridi Expedition in the North-West Frontier. He recorded his experiences in his Report on the Jowaki Expedition 1877–78, AMD Report Vol 19 (1877). He was mentioned in despatches and was thanked by the Governor in Council of India. He received the Frontier medal.
Brigade–Surgeon Frederick William Moore also served through the First Afghan Campaign. He officiated as Deputy Surgeon General in the second phase of the Afghan War of 1879–80, in the Division of General Sir Frederick Francis Maude VC KCB. He was mentioned in despatches.
Service Record — Frederick William Moore
28 Oct 1853 Assistant Surgeon 3rd West India Regiment. Served in Jamaica.
8 Apr 1859 Appointed Staff Assistant Surgeon vice Staff Assistant Surgeon Joseph William Carter Neynoe Murphy who moved to 2nd/12th Foot.
1859 – 1860 On duty in Eastbourne.
1861 In Aberdeen.
1861 – 1863 On duty in the Cape.
5 May 1863 Promoted Surgeon.
1863 – 1865 On duty in China.
1865 – 1866 At Netley.
17 Apr 1866 Exchanged with Surgeon Thomas Frederick Wall 2nd Dragoon Guards. Served as the medical officer of 2nd Dragoon Guards until his move to the Staff in Bengal.
20 Oct 1873 Promoted Surgeon–Major.
1877 – 1881 Served in Bengal.
1877 – 1878 Principal Medical Officer of the Expedition against the Jowaki Afridi in the North–West Frontier of India.
1878 – 1879 Served with the 3rd Division Peshawar Valley Field Force, Second Afghan War and received special praise in General Order HQ Simla, dated 14 October 1879, for his services while in medical charge of the 1st and 2nd Division Base Hospitals at Peshawar.1
27 Nov 1879 Promoted Brigade–Surgeon.
Feb 1882 To Dover from Bengal.
Malta 1 Oct 1883 Arrived from England.
Malta 1884 On garrison duty.
Malta 5 July 1885 To England on leave.
19 Aug 1885 Returned from leave.
14 Nov 1885 Granted retired pay with the honorary rank of Deputy Surgeon–General.
- Drew R., 1968. Entry No: 5175. Medical Officers in the British Army 1660 – 1960. Volume I: 1660 – 1898. London: Wellcome Historical Medical Library.
- RAMC/PE/3/27/Drew. Manuscript for Drew's Roll.
- Succession Books Vol VI, (1 May 1846). Returns of service of medical officers in the Regular Army.
- 1General Order Headquarters Simla 14 October 1879. Br Med J (1879), 2: 879 (Published 29 November 1879).
- Changes of Station. Br Med J (1885), 2: 998 (Published 21 November 1885).
- Naval and Military Medical Services. Br Med J (1885), 2: 1137 (Published 12 December 1885).
- Obituary, Brigade-Surgeon Frederick William Moore. Br Med J (1905), 1: 973 (Published 29 April 1905).