No 767 Brigade Surgeon Alexander Campbell McTavish LRCS (Ed 1858)
20 Jan 1836 [Argyllshire] – 2 Dec 1916 [Kilmartin Kingswear Devonshire]
Brigade Surgeon Alexander Campbell McTavish took the diploma of the Licentiate of the Royal College of Surgeon of Edinburgh in 1858. He entered the Army Medical Department as assistant surgeon on 12 January 1859, becoming surgeon in 1871 and surgeon-major in 1873. He retired with the honorary rank of Brigade Surgeon on 7 July 1880. Most of his service was in the 60th Rifles and 17th Lancers. He had no war service.
Service Record — Alexander Campbell McTavish
12 Jan 1859 Commissioned Staff Assistant Surgeon vice Staff Assistant Surgeon William Henry Leslie appointed to 48th Foot.
12 Jan 1859 Promoted Assistant Surgeon 4th/60th (The King's Royal Rifle Corps). The subsequent vacancy on the Staff was filled by Acting Assistant Surgeon Charles Edward Smith.
14 May 1861 Assistant Surgeon 72nd (Duke of Albany's Own Highlanders) Regiment of Foot.
29 July 1862 Assistant Surgeon 3rd/60th Regiment.
Malta 7 Mar 1866 Arrived from England.
Malta 14 Sept 1866 To England on private leave.
Malta 30 Dec 1866 Returned to Malta.
Malta 6 Oct 1867 Returned to England prior to his embarkation to India.
Apr 1873 Moved from 2nd/60th Rifles to the Medical Staff Bengal. Served in the 1st Battalion from 1865 to 1867.
1 Apr 1874 Surgeon-Major on the Medical Staff Bengal.
July 1874 Moved to Aldershot.
Aug 1874 Medical Officer 17th Lancers.
Jan 1878 Moved from 17th Lancers to the Medical Staff Bengal.
1878–1880 Served in Bengal.
7 July 1880 Retired on half-pay with the honorary rank of Brigade Surgeon having completed 22 years' full-pay service.
- Drew R., 1968. Entry No: 5844. Medical Officers in the British Army 1660 – 1960. Volume 1: 1660 – 1898. London: Wellcome Historical Medical Library.
- RAMC/PE/3/27/Drew. Manuscript for Drew's Roll.
- TNA:WO 25/3901, Records of Service - Officers of the Medical Department (1790–1847).
- Succession Book Vol 11. Returns of service of medical officers in the Regular Army.
- Obituary Br Med J (1888); 937 (Published 28 Apr 1888).