No 1005 Assistant Surgeon Richard Charles Coleman Hickson AB (1862) LKQCPI (1863) LRCSI (1863) MD (Dubl 1880)
13 Aug 1841 [Cashel Ireland] – 13 Aug 1887 [At sea on board SS Quetta]
Surgeon-Major Richard Charles Coleman Hickson served in the Hazara campaign of 1868. He was senior medical officer Ciskei District in the South African War of 1877–1878 (Kaffir campaign). He served in the Zulu War and in the Egyptian Expedition of 1882. He was present at the Battle of Kassassin where he received a mention in despatches.
Among his publications were:
- A case of primary cancer of the liver (Dublin Journal Medical Science 1888 vol 69). This was his thesis for the MD degree.
- Report on wounds and injuries treated during the Kaffir War 1877–1878. AMD Report Vol 20 (1878).
Service Record — Richard Charles Coleman Hickson
20 Sept 1864 Commissioned Staff Assistant Surgeon.
1868 On the Hazara Expedition North West Frontier.
1870 At Killarney Co. Kerry.
25 Mar 1871 Assistant Surgeon 1st/24th (2nd Warwickshire) Regiment of Foot.
Malta 5 June 1871 Arrived from England.
Malta 28 Feb 1872 Left for Gibraltar.
1873 To Staff Gibraltar from 24th Regiment of Foot.
1874 Garrison Medical Officer Gibraltar.
28 Apr 1876 Promoted Surgeon-Major.
Sept 1874 Medical Officer 1st/24th Regiment.
1878–Dec 1879 From 1st/24th to Staff Cape. Served in South Africa.
Dec 1879 To Dublin from the Cape.
1880 On duty at Birr Co. Offaly.
1881 In Dublin.
July 1882 To Egypt with 1st Bearer Company. Was with Surgeon-Major George Shaw when the latter was killed at Kassassin on 28 August 1882.
21 Nov 1882 Attended the banquet of welcome to the medical officers of the Egyptian Expedition at the Willis's Rooms, St James's Square, London.
Dec 1882 In Dublin.
Sept 1886 Served in the Bengal command. Was granted leave to England for six months on urgent private affairs.
Aug 1887 Served in the Bengal command. Was granted leave of absence on medical certificate for six months.
- Drew R., 1968. Entry No: 6870. Medical Officers in the British Army 1660 – 1960. Volume 1: 1660 – 1898. London: Wellcome Historical Medical Library.
- RAMC/PE/3/27/Drew. Manuscript for Drew's Roll.
- Entry No: 6123. Johnston W. Roll of Commissioned Offices in the Medical Service of the British Army. Vol 1 (20 June 1727-23 June 1898), Aberdeen (1917).
- Succession Book Vol 13. Returns of service of medical officers in the Regular Army.
- Naval and Military Medical Services. Br Med J (1886), 574 (Published 18 September 1886).
- Naval and Military Medical Services. Br Med J (1887), 803 (Published 8 October 1887).
- Banquet of Welcome to the Medical Officers of the Egyptian Expedition. Br Med J (1882); 2:1059 (Published 25 November 1882).