1194 Brigade–Surgeon William Morton Harman
MB (Dubl 1866) LRCSI (1866) FRCSI (1883) MD (Dubl 1887)
19 Mar 1842 – 12 Feb 1919 [Winchester]
Brigade–Surgeon William Morton Harman received his education at Carmichael School Ireland and Trinity College, Dublin. He graduated MB Dublin in 1866, MD in 1887 and took the diploma of FRCSI in 1883. He entered the Army Medical Department in October 1866, and served in the 1878–1880 war in Afghanistan (medal).
Brigade–Surgeon William Morton Harman retired in October 1866 with the rank of Brigade-Surgeon. He commenced his civilian medical practice in Winchester where he was a member of the Winchester Division of the British Medical Association and an ex-president of the Southern Branch. He was also consulting physician to the Royal Hants County Hospital, Winchester and a member and for some time president of the Old Hampshire Field Club.
Doctor William Morton Harman died at Winchester on 12 February 1919, aged 77 years.
2 Oct 1866 Commissioned Staff Assistant Surgeon. On duty at Devonport.
12 Oct 1867 Appointed Assistant Surgeon 4th/60th (The King's Royal Rifle Corps).
1 Mar 1873 Promoted Surgeon.
Apr 1873 Posted from 4th/60th Regiment to the Staff at Winchester.
1873 – 1874 On duty at Portland.
1874 – 1875 On duty at Devonport.
1875 Medical Officer 4th/60th Rifles.
2 Oct 1878 Promoted Surgeon–Major having completed twelve years' full-pay service.
1878 Posted from 4th/60th Rifles to Staff Bengal.
1878 – 1880 Served in the Afghan War (medal).
1879 – 1882 On duty in Bengal.
Mar 1882 To Dublin from Bengal.
3 Mar 1884 Arrived at Malta from England.
28 June 1885 To England on leave.
27 Oct 1886 Retired with the honorary rank of Brigade–Surgeon. Settled in medical practice in Winchester.
- Entry No: 6306. Johnston W. Roll of Commissioned Offices in the Medical Service of the British Army. Vol 1 (20 June 1727-23 June 1898), Aberdeen (1917).
- RAMC/PE/3/27/Drew. Manuscript for Drew's Roll.
- Succession Book Vol 14. Returns of service of medical officers in the Regular Army.
- Naval and Military Medical Services Br Med J (1885); 2: 764 (Published 17 October 1885).
- Naval and Military Medical Services Br Med J (1886); 2: 844 (Published 30 October 1886).
- Harman W.M. Forcible feeding of suffrage prisoners Br Med J (1912); 2: 659 (Published 14 September 1912).
- Obituary Br Med J (1919); 1: 328 (Published 15 March 1919).