No 1297 Surgeon-Major William Charles Gasteen AB MB (Dub 1866) MRCS (Eng 1867)
2 Apr 1844 – 2 Jan 1918
Surgeon Major William Charles Gasteen qualified MB from Trinity College Dublin in 1866 and took his MRCS (Eng) in 1867. He entered the Medical Department of the army as an Assistant-Surgeon on 31 March, 1868.
He served in South Africa during the Zulu war in 1879, and in the operations against Sekukuni (medal).
Service Record — William Charles Gasteen
31 Mar 1868 Staff Assistant Surgeon. Served at Dublin.
1869 Moved from Dublin to Curragh, Kildare Ireland.
29 Jan 1870 Appointed Assistant Surgeon 66th (Berkshire) Regiment of Foot.
Apr 1873 Moved from 66th Foot to the staff Bombay.
1875 Moved from Bombay to Chatham.
1875 – 1878 On duty at Chatham.
Dec 1878 Moved to the Cape from Woolwich.
1879 Served in South Africa during the Zulu War and the operations against the Sekukuni (medal).
31 Mar 1880 Promoted Surgeon-Major.
July 1880 Posted to Aldershot.
Nov 1881 Appointed Officer Commanding the Army Hospital Corps Depôt, Aldershot.
1882 Officer Commanding the Army Hospital Corps Depôt, Aldershot.
Malta 15 Aug 1884 Arrived at Malta from England.
Malta 1885 On garrison duty.
Malta 9 July 1886 Left Malta for Cyprus.
Nov 1887 Moved from Cyprus to Enniskillen.
4 Jan 1890 Placed on the retired list.
Mar 1890 Recalled from the retired list and succeeded Surgeon-Major J Walker in medical charge of the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich.
Apr 1901 Relinquished his appointment as Surgeon to the Royal Military Academy at Woolwich, and assumed medical charge of the troops at Seaforth.
1911 Resided at 8 Ormond Road Rathmines and Rathgar East, Dublin.
- Entry No: 6409. Johnston W. Roll of Commissioned Offices in the Medical Service of the British Army. Vol 1 (20 June 1727-23 June 1898), Aberdeen (1917).
- RAMC/PE/3/27/Drew. Manuscript for Drew's Roll.
- Succession Book Vol 14. Returns of service of medical officers in the Regular Army.
- Naval and Military Services Br Med J (1886); 2: 396 (Published 21 August 1886).
- Naval and Military Services Br Med J (1890); 1: 105 (Published 11 January 1890).