No 837 Brigade Surgeon William Cherry LKQCPI (1859) LRCSI (1859)
10 Apr 1838 [Creywell New Ross Ireland] – 21 Sept 1917 [Bournemouth]
Brigade Surgeon William Cherry took the Irish diplomas of LKQCP and LRCS in 1859. He entered the Army Medical Department as an assistant surgeon on 19 January 1860. From 1882 to 1886, he served as Assistant Professor of Military Medicine at the Army Medical School Netley.
Service Record — William Cherry
19 Jan 1860 Appointed Assistant Surgeon to the Forces.
Served in Shorncliffe.
25 Sept 1860 Appointed Assistant Surgeon 45th (Nottinghamshire) Regiment of Foot.
28 Jan 1862 Appointed Staff Assistant Surgeon vice Staff Assistant Surgeon Samuel Hope, appointed to 93rd Foot.
21 Oct 1862 Assistant Surgeon 1st/14th (Buckinghamshire) Regiment of Foot.
Malta 20 Aug 1867 Arrived from England.
Malta 31 July 1868 To England on private leave.
13 Oct 1868 Returned to Malta.
19 Oct 1868 Left for the East Indies.
29 Jan 1870 From 14th Foot appointed Assistant Surgeon 5th Lancers vice Assistant Surgeon Alexander Neill who moved to the Staff.
1 Mar 1873 Promoted Surgeon.
Apr 1873 Moved from 5th Lancers to the medical Staff Bengal.
1873–1874 Served in Bengal.
Jan 1875 Moved from Bengal to Netley.
1 Apr 1875 Promoted Surgeon Major.
1876 Returned to Bengal.
1877–1880 On duty in Bengal.
1 Apr 1878 Birth of a son, William Norman Lyndon, at Agra India.
Feb 1881 Moved to the Cape of Good Hope.
Oct 1881 Moved to Pembroke Dock.
Aug 1882–1886 Appointed Assistant Professor of Medicine at the Army Medical School, Netley vice Brigade Surgeon Henry Richard Lobb Veale.
3 Apr 1886 Promoted Brigade Surgeon vice Brigade Surgeon Thomas Norton Hoysted, promoted Deputy Surgeon–General, vice William Skeen MD, deceased.
28 Mar 1887 Granted retired pay with the honorary rank of Deputy Surgeon General. The vacancy of Brigade Surgeon was filled by Surgeon Major William James Wilson, who was serving at the Mhow Station Hospital, in the Bombay Command.
- Drew R., 1968. Entry No: 5929. Medical Officers in the British Army 1660 – 1960. Volume 1: 1660 – 1898. London: Wellcome Historical Medical Library.
- RAMC/PE/3/27/Drew. Manuscript for Drew's Roll.
- TNA:WO 25/3901, Records of Service - Officers of the Medical Department (1790–1847).
- Succession Book Vol 12. Returns of service of medical officers in the Regular Army.
- Naval and Military Medical Services Br Med J (1887) 1887, 910 (Published 23 Apr 1887).
- Naval and Military Medical Services Br Med J (1886) 1886, 951 (Published 15 May 1886).
- Naval and Military Medical Services Br Med J (1887) 1887, 1019 (Published 7 May 1887).
- Obituary Br Med J (1917) 1917, 541 (Published 20 Oct 1917).