No 882 Surgeon Major John Waring Belcher MD (St And 1861) LRCSI (1858)
5 Nov 1837 [Bandon Co Cork] – 14 Nov 1902 [Plymouth]
Surgeon Major John Waring Belcher was the youngest son of the Rev William Belcher. He joined in the Army Medical Department as an assistant surgeon on 1 April 1861 and retired from the service with the honorary rank of Brigade Surgeon in October 1885.
From 17 May 1859 to 15 June 1860, Surgeon Major John Waring Belcher had served as an Acting Assistant Surgeon in the Royal Navy.
Service Record — John Waring Belcher
1 Apr 1861 Staff Assistant Surgeon. Gazetted on 17 September 1861, his commission being antedated to 1 April 1861.
17 Sept 1861 Reduced to half-pay. In 1861 there was a reduction in the establishment of army medical officers and many junior officers were placed on half-pay.
29 Mar 1862 Restored to full-pay as Staff Assistant Surgeon and was posted to Bombay.
1862–1864 On duty in Bombay.
5 Aug 1864 Appointed Assistant Surgeon to the Royal Artillery. Served with the following: 18th Bde (1865) Kurrachee, E RHA (1866) Kirkee, C RHA (1867) Woolwich, D RHA (1868), 2nd RA (1869–1870) Mauritius and (1870–1873) Ceylon.
1864 Published a report on an
Out break of cholera at Baroda in B Battery 18th Brigade Royal Artillery in June 1865 in the Reports of the Army Medical Department Vol 6:435 (1864).
1870–1873 Stationed in Galle Ceylon.
Apr 1873 Moved from the Royal Artillery to the Medical Staff Hong Kong.
1874–1878 On duty at Fort Staddon, Plymouth.
27 Jan 1876 Promoted Surgeon Major.
Malta 16 Aug 1878 Arrived from England.
Malta 1879 Birth of a daughter Melita W Belcher.
Malta 1880 On garrison duty.
Malta 1881 Birth of a son St John Belcher.
Malta 1882 On garrison duty.
Malta 1883 On garrison duty.
Malta 11 May 1884 Returned to England.
7 Oct 1885 Retired with the honorary rank of Brigade Surgeon.
1886–189 At Ashton under Lyne, Tameside.
1889–1902 At Fort Staddon Plymouth.
14 Nov 1902 Died from syncope, following thrombosis and gangrene of his left leg.
- Drew R., 1968. Entry No: 5985. Medical Officers in the British Army 1660 – 1960. Volume 1: 1660 – 1898. London: Wellcome Historical Medical Library.
- RAMC/PE/3/27/Drew. Manuscript for Drew's Roll.
- TNA:WO 25/3901, Records of Service - Officers of the Medical Department (1790–1847).
- Succession Book Vol 12. Returns of service of medical officers in the Regular Army.
- Statistical, Sanitary and Medical Reports of the Army Medical Department. Army Medical Department Report for 1864 Vol VI. London 1866.