The 3rd Battalion Grenadier Guards
The Grenadier Guards was raised by Charles II in 1656 as Our First Regiment of Foot Guards. On 29 July 1815, it was styled The 1st or Grenadier Regiment of Foot Guards in commemoration of their having defeated the Grenadiers of the French Imperial Guards at Waterloo.
Four members of the 3rd Battalion gained the Victoria Cross for their conduct during the Crimean War.
John Standish Surtees Prendergast Vereker later Viscount Gort was commissioned in the Grenadier Guards in 1886. He won the Victoria Cross in 1918. On 7 May 1942, he became Governor of Malta and Supreme Commander of HM Troops on the island. In September 1942 Viscount Gort made the formal presentation of the George Cross to the Island of Malta on behalf of King George VI. On 20 June 1943, he was presented with the Field Marshal's baton by King George VI in the Palace Valletta. Field Marshal the Viscount Gort VC left Malta for Palestine in August 1944.
22 Feb 1854 Six Companies of the Grenadier Guards embarked at Southampton on the Ripon; two companies embarked on board the Manilla.
5 Mar The Ripon arrived at Malta and disembarked the 3rd Battalion, which remained on the island for seven weeks. The Manilla followed on 12 March. The men were kept in the Lazaretto on Manoel Island. The Battalion had 864 men fit for duty.
24 Apr The 3rd Battalion/Grenadier Guards left Malta on the Golden Fleece. It arrived at Scutari on 29 April and embarked for Varna on 13 June.
The following were buried in 1854:
- 25 Mar Pte John Gregory 3rd/Gren Gds aged 22 years.
- 1 Apr Pte William Daniels 3rd/Gren Gds aged 33 years.
- 15 Apr Pte Charles Berry aged 27 years.
- 28 Dec Pte John Spencer of the Expeditionary Force deployed in the Crimea.
The following were buried in 1855:
- 29 Jan Pte James Martin aged 22 years.
- 20 Feb Pte James Talbot aged 26 years.
- 2 Mar Pte Thomas Rolf aged 38 years.
- 5 Mar Pte George Oates aged 27 years.
- 23 Apr Pte George Barrett aged 28 years.
- 7 May Pte J Hoare aged 23 years.
The following were buried in 1856:
- 5 Feb Pte Henry Tocock Grenadier Guards.
- 3 Mar Pte John Vincent Grenadier Guards.
- 2 Apr Pte Joseph Coulson aged 24 years.
The following died in 1857:
- Aug 1857 Grenadier James Forsyth.
- Mar 1858 Grenadier Michael Sheridan.
Both had served in the Campaign in the Crimea 1854–56 and were present at Inkerman, Balaclava and Sebastopol. (Military and Civil Cemetery Floriana).
- Famous Units National Army Museum.
- TNA:WO 156/113. Register of burials September 1853 to June 1862.