Regiments of the Malta Garrison Malta Dockyard Artillery
The Royal Dockyard Battalion of Artillery (1853 – 1864)
The Royal Dockyard Battalion of Artillery was raised in 1853 from civilian volunteers in the employment of the naval department. The men enlisted for local service for the defence of the Malta Dockyard. They trained as gunners at Fort St Angelo on Saturday afternoons. The battalion was under the command of the Admiral Superintendent of the Dockyard.
The Malta Dockyard Battalion of Artillery consisted of three companies of a hundred men each. These were: The Dockyard Company, The Victualling Yard Company and The Factory Company. The Officers were appointed by the admiral superintendent subject to the approval of the Admiralty.