The 92nd (Highland) Regiment
The 92nd Highlanders was raised in Aberdeenshire by the Duke of Gordon in June 1794, at the onset of the French Revolutionary Wars. It was initially the 100th (Gordon Highlanders) Regiment of Foot, but was renumbered in 1798 as The 92nd (Highland) Regiment of Foot.
In 1861, its title changed to The 92nd (Gordon Highlanders) Regiment of Foot.
On 1 July 1881, The 92nd (Gordon Highlanders) merged with The 75th (Stirlingshire) Regiment to form the 2nd Battalion The Gordon Highlanders.
In 1994 The Gordon Highlanders merged with The Queen's Own Highlanders (Seaforth and Camerons) to form The Highlanders (Seaforth, Gordon and Camerons).
The 92nd (Highland) Regiment
1800 – 92nd (Highland)
1 Dec 1800 The 92nd arrived at Malta from Minorca.
26 Dec The 92nd embarked on Sir Ralph Abercrombie's Expedition to Egypt.
1801 92nd (Highland)
6 Oct 1801 The 92nd embarked at Aboukir. It sailed for Malta on 7 October 1801.
19 Oct The 92nd arrived at Malta, but remained in harbour until 15 November, when it sailed for Great Britain.
1 Nov Total Officers and Men: 699, Sick: 58, Rank and File Fit for Duty: 578.
The 92nd (Highland) Regiment
1835 – 92nd (Highland)
14 Dec 1835 A detachment of 150 men arrived from Gibraltar.
Dec The sick of the two companies of the 92nd Regiment stationed at Fort Manoel were treated in the regimental hospital of the 53rd Foot at the Garrison Hospital Valletta.
1836 92nd (Highland)
8 Feb 1836 The Service Companies, (17 officers and 492 men), arrived from Gibraltar.
Baptisms in 1836:
- 30 Jan William Brown son of Pte John Brown and Mary born on 5 January 1836.
- 20 Mar James Jaffery son of Pte John Jaffery and Janet born on 7 March.
- 3 Apr Mary Ann Matthew daughter of Pte James Matthew and Elizabeth born on 27 March.
- 22 Apr Mary Ann McDonald daughter of Drum Major Charles McDonald and Anne born on 23 March.
- 22 Apr Anne McIntyre daughter of Pte Duncan McIntyre and Mary born on 14 April.
- 9 May Catherine Hindman daughter of Pte James Hindman and Catherine, born on 2 May.
- 12 May Anne Sinclair daughter of Pte Kennedy Sinclair and Alice born on 12 May.
- 19 May Isabella Thomson daughter of Pte John Thomson and Anne born on 5 May.
- 29 May William Stark son of Pte James Stark and Judith born on 16 May.
- 29 May George Palmer son of Armourer Sgt Thomas Palmer and Maria, born on 29 May.
- 10 June Mary Burgess daughter of Pte John Burgess and Mary Jane, born on 25 May.
- 1 Aug John Jardine son of Pte George Jardine and Jean born on 21 July.
- 8 Aug Peter Dallas son of Pte Peter Dallas and Jane born on 28 July.
- 11 Aug Bridget McCarter daughter of Pte Robert McCarter and Bridget, born on 10 August.
- 12 Sep James Alexander Gordon son of Pte John Gordon and Jane, born on 18 August.
- 17 Sep Agnes McDonald daughter of Pte George McDonald and Catherine, born on 3 September 1836.
- 25 Sep Jane Crombie daughter of Pte John Crombie and Julia, born on 8 September.
- 17 Oct Catherine Loggie daughter of Pte Robert Loggie and Catherine, born on 17 October. She was publicly admitted into the church on 24 October 1836.
- 19 Oct James Ross son of Pte Andrew Ross and Lucy, born on 14 October.
- 29 Oct Robert Gordon Dawes son of Drm Edward Dawes and Elizabeth, born on 14 October.
- 30 Oct Mary Flynn daughter of Sgt Patrick Flynn and Maria, born on 6 October.
- 2 Dec Duncan Fraser son of QM Sgt Donald Fraser and Christian, born on 30 September.
- 2 Dec Margaret Davidson Langland daughter of Pte William Langland and Agnes, born on 22 November.
- 2 Dec Thomas Scott son of CSgt William Scott and Christiana, born on 23 November.
- 23 Dec David Hunter son of Pte Daniel Hunter and Ellen, born on 10 December.
Burials in 1836:
- 13 Mar Catherine McDougale aged 47 years.
- 1 Apr Margaret Hepburn aged 19 months, daughter of Pte John Hepburn.
- 10 May Pte Alexander McDonald aged 23 years.
- 10 May Catherine Hindman aged 7 days, daughter of Pte James Hindman.
- 14 May Anne Sinclair aged 2 days, daughter of Pte Kennedy Sinclair.
- 24 May Charlotte McGill aged 28 years, wife of Pte Edward McGill.
- 7 June Pte William Grant aged 31 years.
- 20 July William Rough aged 9 months, son of A. Rough.
- 25 July Charlotte McGill aged 21 months, daughter of Pte Edward McGill.
- 12 Aug Bridget McCarter aged 1 day, daughter of Pte Robert McCarter.
- 13 Aug Pte Solomon Rutherford aged 23 years.
- 16 Aug Margaret Cochrane aged 51 years, wife of Sgt Robert Cochrane.
- 25 Oct Allan McDean aged 6 months, son of Donald McLean.
- 7 Nov Catherine Loggie aged 3 weeks, daughter of Pte Robert Loggie.
- 11 Nov Pte John Robertson aged 26 years.
- 17 Nov Pte John Jardine aged 4 months, son of Pte George Jardine.
- 12 Dec Pte John McKay aged 29 years.
1837 92nd (Highland)
17 June-18 July 1837 During the cholera epidemic in Malta (9 June–11 Oct 1837) the 92nd had 60 ill with 7 deaths (5 males, 1 female and 1 child). The regiment was moved from Floriana Barracks, which overlooked the Ospizio, to Fort Manoel.
28 Nov The 92nd was inspected by Major General Sir Henry Bouverie.
Baptisms in 1837:
- 16 Jan John Hepburn son of Cpl John Hepburn and Charlotte born on 1 January 1837.
- 16 Jan William McLance son of Pte James McLance and Anne born on 10 January.
- 23 Jan Mary Hewitt daughter of Pte William Hewitt and Eliza born on 16 January.
- 1 Mar Margaret Corbet daughter of Pte James Corbet and Catherine born on 14 February.
- 27 Mar John Forbes Blyth son of Pte James Blyth and Catherine born on 23 March.
- 22 May Alexander Marr son of Pte William Marr and Ellen born on 17 May.
- 5 June Elizabeth Smith daughter of Pte John Smith and Elizabeth born on 26 May.
- 24 July Jane McDonald daughter of Drum Major Charles McDonald and Anne born on 14 June.
- 4 Sep Donald McLean son of Pte Donald McLean and Anne born on 23 August.
- 17 Sep Reginald Gother Thorold son of Capt George Edward Thorold and Alice Anne born on 7 August.
- 6 Nov Robert Stott son of Pte William Stott and Jane born on 1 November.
- 26 Dec Elizabeth Mathews daughter of Cpl Robert Mathews and Judith born on 21 December.
Burials in 1837:
- 23 Jan Jessy McIntyre aged 3 years, daughter of Duncan McIntyre.
- 30 Jan Ann McIntyre aged 9 months, daughter of Duncan McIntyre.
- 14 Mar John Hunter aged 4 years, son of Daniel Hunter.
- 3 Apr William Marr aged 22 months, son of William Marr.
1838 92nd (Highland)
12 July 1838 Prince Maximilian of Bavaria visited Malta. On 13 July 1838, he inspected the barracks occupied by the 92nd (Highland) Regiment.
30 Nov On the visit to Malta of Adelaide, the Queen Dowager, the 92nd Regiment lined the ramparts of Fort St Elmo while the Hastings entered the Grand Harbour. On the following day, when the Queen Dowager disembarked to examine the accommodation prepared for her, the 92nd formed the Guard of Honour in front of the Palace Valletta. The Queen Dowager then returned to the Hastings.
4 Dec The Queen Dowager disembarked from the Hastings and occupied her rooms at the Palace Valletta. On 12 December, she held a reception at the Palace attended by all the officers. Afterwards, she reviewed the 92nd on the Floriana Parade ground.
Baptisms in 1838:
- 4 Jan Private baptism of Maria Sinclair daughter of Pte Kennedy Sinclair and Ellisha born on 31 December 1837. The child was publicly received into the church on 5 February 1838.
- 5 Jan Private baptism of Anne Thompson daughter of Sgt James Thompson and Isabella born on 26 December 1837. The child was publicly received into the church on 23 March 1838.
- 12 Feb Margaret McArthur daughter of Pte Robert McArthur and Bridget born on 7 February 1838.
- 23 Mar John McIntyre son of Pte Duncan McIntyre and Mary born on 17 March.
- 16 Apr James Hindman son of Pte James Hindman and Catherine born on 13 April.
- 23 Apr Jane Gordon daughter of Pte John Gordon and Jane born on 17 April.
- 7 May Mary Ann Stuart daughter of Cpl William Stuart and Margaret born on 24 April.
- 20 May John Collins son of Pte Robert Collins and Anne born on 14 May.
- 22 May Donald McDonald son of Pte George McDonald and Catherine born on 11 May.
- 28 July Henry Corbet son of Pte James Corbet and Catherine born on 10 July.
- 28 July James Matthew son of Pte James Matthew and Elizabeth born on 20 July.
- 23 Oct Julia Crombie daughter of Pte John Crombie and Julia born on 11 October.
- 23 Oct Robert Stark son of Pte James Stark and Judith born on 7 October.
- 3 Dec Lucy Flynn daughter of Sgt Patrick Flynn and Maria born on 16 November.
- 17 Dec Margaret Burgess daughter of Pte John Burgess and Mary Jane born on 13 October.
1839 92nd (Highland)
Marriages in 1839:
- 29 Oct Bachelor Pte William Michie to Janet Lowden spinster daughter of Gnr William Lowden RA.
- 5 Dec Bachelor Captain Robert Pitcairn to Eliza Cardew, daughter of Colonel George Cardew, Commanding the Royal Engineers.
Baptisms in 1839:
- 3 Feb Mary Ann Thomson daughter of Pte John Thomson and Anne born on 8 January 1839.
- 17 Feb Dorothea Jackson daughter of Bugler William Jackson and Catherine born on 7 February.
- 24 Mar Charles McDonald son of Drum Major Charles McDonald and Anne born on 10 March.
- 19 May Arthur Machray son of Pte David Machray and Anne born on 7 May.
- 2 June Anne Smith daughter of Pte John Smith and Elizabeth born on 18 May.
- 21 July William Collins son of Pte Robert Collins and Anne, born on 6 July.
- 19 Sep Adolphus Frederick Elder son of Schoolmaster Sgt Alexander James Elder and Elizabeth, born on 24 July.
- 29 Sep George Edward Jaffrey son of Pte John Jaffrey and Janet, born on 14 September.
- 24 Nov Anne Robb daughter of Pte Peter Robb and Mary, born on 31 October.
- 29 Dec James Marr son of Pte William Marr and Ellen, born on 18 December.
Burials in 1839:
- 22 July Margaret Cumming aged 30 years.
- 31 July Sgt John Bulman aged 44 years.
- 8 Sep Pte Peter Taylor aged 27 years.
- 17 Sep Anne Smith aged 4 months, daughter of John Smith.
- 30 Sep William Stott aged 3 years, son of William Stott.
- 2 Nov Robert Stark aged 1 year, son of James Stark.
- 11 Nov Anne Collins aged 28 years, wife of Pte Robert Collins.
1840 92nd (Highland)
15 Apr 1840 A detachment of 66 men and 2 women arrived on the transport Barretto Junior.
19 Oct A detachment of 131 men left for England.
Baptisms in 1840:
- 2 Feb Ann Isabella Smith daughter of Cpl Alexander Smith and Margaret, born on 15 November 1839.
- 9 Feb James Thompson son of Sgt James Thompson and Isabella, born on 4 February 1840 was baptised privately by Chaplain to the Forces Rev John Le Mesurier.
- 9 Feb Maria Gordon daughter of Pte John Gordon and Jane, born on 4 February.
- 12 Apr William Bulman Hindman son of Pte James Hindman and Catherine, born on 29 March.
- 12 Apr Isabella Hunter daughter of Pte Daniel Hunter and Ellen, born on 3 April.
- 26 Apr Agnes Stoot daughter of Pte William Stoot and Jane, born on 15 April.
- 5 July Charles Francis Hepburn son of Drum Major John Hepburn and Charlotte, born on 29 April.
- 27 July Mary Anne Smith daughter of Pte John Smith and Elizabeth, born on 7 July.
- 31 Aug Alexander Shand son of QM Sgt Alexander Shand and Anne, born on 18 August.
- 7 Sep Elizabeth Stark daughter of James Stark and Judith, born on 15 August.
- 28 Sep Marianne Mackay daughter of Cpl John Mackay and Frances Kennedy, born on 31 August.
1841 92nd (Highland)
21 Jan 1841 The first division of the regiment consisting of two companies, (204 men, 14 women and 27 children), embarked on the Somersetshire for Barbados to relieve the 14th Foot. It arrived in the West Indies on 4 April. On 13 January 1841, the Rifle Brigade replaced the 92nd on garrison duty at Malta.1
28 Mar The lady of Capt Donald Stewart 92nd Highlanders was delivered of a son, on board the transport Somersetshire, while on its voyage from Malta to Barbados.
21 Jan 1841 HQ Coy and four other companies, (396 men, 24 women, and 44 children), embarked on the transport Cornwall for Barbados to relieve the 14th Foot. It arrived in the West Indies on 4 April with the First Division of the regiment.
The 92nd (Highland) Regiment
1854 92nd (Highland)
Burials in 1854:
- 1854 Mary Ann Fry daughter of William and Catharine Fry 92nd Regiment aged 6 months and 4 days was buried at the Military and Civil Cemetery Floriana.
1855 92nd (Highland)
Burials in 1855:
- 8 Oct 1855 Pte Robert Inglis 92nd Regiment aged 18 years.
1858 92nd (Highland)
Burials in 1858:
- 4 Sep 1858 John Collins aged 4 months, son of Pte Robert Collins was buried at the Military and Civil Cemetery Floriana.
1859 92nd (Highland)
Burials in 1859:
- 10 Nov 1859 Ann Collins wife of Pte Robert Collins 92nd Highlanders aged 28 years was buried at the Military and Civil Cemetery Floriana.
- Farmer J. S., 1984. The regimental records of the British Army Reprint Edition, Trowbridge, Wiltshire: Crecy Books.
- Edwards T. J., 1980. Regimental Badges First Edition, Tonbridge, Kent: Ernest Benn Ltd.
- Cannon J., 1990, The Msida Bastion Cemetery Malta. Bucks Cannon Associates.
- Cannon R., 1851. Historical records of the 92nd Regiment, The Gordon Highlanders, and numbered the 100th Regiment. London. Parker Furnwall and Parker.
- 1The Malta Times or Broad Sheet of the Mediterranean 1840, Issue No 31 (5 September 1840).
- TNA:WO 156/122; List of gravestones at the Military and Civil Cemetery 1801–1865 and the Quarantine Bastion Cemetery 1819–1867 compiled by the Rev D B L Foster Assistant Chaplain General Western Mediterranean in May 1939.
- TNA:WO 156/113. Register of burials September 1853 to June 1862.
- TNA:WO 156/594. No 2, Marriage Register from 1 January 1820 to 12 June 1839.
- TNA:WO 156/594. No 2, Baptism Register from 2 January 1820 to 29 June 1839.
- TNA:WO 156/595. No 3, Baptism Register from 14 July 1839 to 25 December 1859.
- TNA:WO 156/595. No 3, Marriage Register from 11 July 1839 to 14 May 1859.