Regiments
Of the Malta Garrison
76th (Hindoostan)

The 76th (Hindoostan) Regiment

The 76th (Hindoostan) Regiment of Foot was raised on 12 October 1787 for service in the Honourable East India Company (HEIC). The men were raised mainly from the Nottingham and Leicester areas. The 74th, 75th and 77th were also raised at the same time, all for service with the HEIC.

The regiment served in India for the next twenty years, where it distinguished itself in the campaigns against the Mahratta, especially at Ally Ghur (September 1803) Laswaree (November 1803), Deig (November 1804) and the siege of Bhurtpoor. It was granted the honorary badge of an elephant circumscribed by the word Hindoostan.

In 1812, the 76th (Hindoostan) Regiment of Foot became the 76th Regiment. It served in Spain under sir John Moore, in the expedition to Walcheren under the Earl of Chatham, in Spain and France under the Duke of Wellington when the word Peninsula was added to its Colours, and subsequently in Canada.

On 1 July 1881, the 76th Regiment merged with The 33rd The Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding Regiment) to form the Second Battalion of The Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment). The 33rd forming the 1st Battalion.

In January 1921, its title change to The Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding).

The 76th Regiment of Foot

1842 — 76th Foot

Burials in 1842:

1851 76th Foot

27 Mar 1851 319 men, 33 women and 55 children of the 76th Foot arrived from Corfu.

9 Apr 678 men, 53 women and 104 children of the 76th Foot arrived from Corfu.

Marriages in 1851:

1 Nov Strength: 994 men. HQ Coy was at Cottonera.

Baptisms in 1851:

1852 76th Foot

Jan 1852 The 76th was at Cottonera with detachments at Fort Ricasoli, Fort Manoel, and Fort Tigne.

27 Jan 1852 The Malta Times reported:

The men of the 76th Regiment stationed at Isola Barracks, Cottonera entertained their brothers NCOs of the 3rd The Buffs and 68th Regiment, and acquaintances in the Royal Artillery at a ball on Tuesday 20 January.
The East Indian and the British Colours of the regiment at the end of the ball room attracted much attention and a transparency painted by Lt Bland which was suspended over the entrance portrayed the deeds of the Corps at the Battle of Deig (November 1804).1

Sep 1852 The 76th moved from Cottonera to Floriana, where it relieved the 3rd (East Kent-The Buffs) Regiment.

Baptisms in 1852:

Burials in 1852:

1853 76th Foot

18 Jan 1853 In the Collegiate Church of St Paul's Valletta, Bachelor School Master Sgt Jeremiah Willis born at Midleton County Cork, son of George and Ann Willis of Midleton married Charlotte Gardiner, spinster and minor with the consent of her mother, born in Edinburgh, daughter of QM Sgt John Gardiner 42nd Highlanders deceased and of Phoebe his wife residing in Malta.

24 Jan 18 men embarked at Deptford on board transport John Oldham for Malta.

25 Jan Lt B Rising had been seriously ill since 15 January, having lost the use of one side by a paralytic stroke.

10 Mar Strength: 910 men.

Mar 700 men, 43 women and 100 children of the 76th Foot left for Halifax Nova Scotia on the steam ship Simoon. The remainder of the 76th moved to Fort St Elmo which they shared with a company of the 68th Foot. The quarters formerly occupied by the 76th Regiment at the Auberge de Castille were taken over by the Royal Malta Fencible Regiment which was relieved at Fort Manoel by the 41st Regiment.

Baptisms in 1853:

Bibliography