Regiments of the Malta Garrison 70th (Surrey) Regiment
The 70th (Surrey) Regiment
The 70th Foot was derived from the 2nd/31st Regiment of Foot. The 2nd Battalion was raised in 1756 during the Seven Years War (1756–63), but two years later became an independent regiment as the 70th Regiment of Foot (Glasgow Greys). It recruiting in Scotland.
In 1782 the 70th Foot gained its county affiliation with Surrey. In 1813, the title Glasgow Lowland displaced The Surrey, however, in 1825 the regimental title reverted back to The 70th (Surrey) Regiment of Foot.
On 1 July 1881 The 70th (Surrey) Regiment merged with the 31st (Huntingdonshire) Regiment to become the Second Battalion of the new East Surrey Regiment.
The 2nd/East Surrey Regiment had an average strength of 656 men. It had 414 admissions (631.1/1000 mean strength) into hospital with 3 deaths (4.57/1000 mean strength). 9 invalids returned to England.
Its average constantly sick was 28.23 (43.03/1000 mean strength). The average sick time to each soldier was 15.71 days. The average duration of cases of sickness was 24.89 days.
The 2nd/East Surrey Regiment was quartered at Isola Gate for 1 month and Fort Manoel and Hutments for 8 1/2 months. It embarked for Dover on 20 Oct 1895. It disembarked at Southampton on 29 Oct; it moved from Dover to Woking on 28 June 1898.
The 2nd/East Surrey Regiment had 2 cases of enteric fever in Fort Manoel and Hutments.
Farmer J. S., 1984. The regimental records of the British Army Reprint Edition, Trowbridge, Wiltshire: Crecy Books.
Edwards T. J., 1980. Regimental Badges First Edition, Tonbridge, Kent: Ernest Benn Ltd.
TNA:WO 379/11. Stations of Regiments 1859–1900.
TNA:WO 156/115. Register of burials in the military cemetery Rinella from January 1890 to January 1908.
TNA:WO 156/595. No 3, Marriage Register from 11 July 1839 to 14 May 1859.
TNA:WO 156/594. No 2, Marriage Register from 1 January 1820 to 12 June 1839.
TNA:WO 156/594. No 2, Baptism Register from 2 January 1820 to 29 June 1839.
TNA:WO 156/595. No 3, Baptism Register from 14 July 1839 to 25 December 1859.