The 59th (2nd Nottinghamshire) Regiment
The 59th Regiment of Foot was raised in 1755 in Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire as the 61st Foot, for service in Ireland. The following year it was re-numbered 59th Foot when the 50th and 51st Regiments were disbanded.
In 1782 the regiment was given its county association with Nottinghamshire to become The 59th (Nottinghamshire) Regiment of Foot.
On 1st July 1958, the East Lancashire Regiment amalgamated with the South Lancashire Regiment to form The Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Volunteers).
On 27 March 1970, The Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Volunteers) merged with the Loyal Regiment (North Lancashire), to form the Queen's Lancashire Regiment, (Loyals and Lancashire).
The 59th (2nd Nottinghamshire) Regiment
1836 59th (2nd Nottinghamshire)
6 June 1836 HQ Coy and a detachment of 274 men of the 59th Foot arrived at Malta from Gibraltar.
Malta 28 June The 2nd Div 59th Foot consisting of 244 men disembarked at Malta.
Malta 31 Dec 1836 Strength: 18 Officers and 488 men.
The following were married in Malta in 1836:
- 9 Aug Bachelor Drum Major Edward Smith Butler to Mary Jane Goldrick, spinster daughter of William Goldrick 12th Regiment.
- 15 Aug Bachelor Acting Sgt Thomas Henry Thomas to Sarah McIrvey, spinster of Enniskillen, County Fermanagh.
The following were baptized in Malta in 1836:
- 17 July Isabella Andrews daughter of Pte John Andrews and Elizabeth born on 9 June 1836.
- 24 July George Gibbons son of Pte George Gibbons and Sarah born on 5 July 1836.
- 24 July Samuel Hardy son of Pte Thomas Hardy and Anne, born on 14 July 1836.
- 28 Aug James Butcher son of Sgt John Butcher and Elizabeth born on 9 August 1836.
- 28 Aug Mary Ellen Burkitt daughter of Pte William Burkitt and Ellen born on 18 August 1836.
- 18 Sept Charles Dickenson Biggs son of Sgt Thomas Biggs and Anne, born on 29 August 1836.
- 13 Nov Elizabeth Pike daughter of L/Cpl William Pike and Sarah, born on 16 September 1836.
- 20 Nov Robert Ingram son of Pte Thomas Ingram and Mary, born on 1 November 1836.
- 27 Nov Elizabeth Webb daughter of Pte Thomas Webb and Elizabeth, born on 18 November 1836.
- 27 Nov Anne Jane Agnew daughter of Hospital Sgt George Agnew and Ellen, born on 8 November 1836.
- 4 Dec Elizabeth Hughes daughter of Pte Michael Hughes and Elizabeth, born on 24 November 1836.
- 4 Dec George Alexander Edwards son of Armourer Sgt Edward Edwards and Elizabeth, born on 14 November 1836.
- 11 Dec Elizabeth Dosson daughter of Cpl Henry Dosson and Margaret, born on 2 December 1836.
- 11 Dec Thomas Reed son of Pte James Reed and Margaret, born on 2 December 1836.
- 11 Dec Agnes Honey daughter of Pte John Honey and Elizabeth, born on 2 December 1836.
- 18 Dec Louisa Fayers daughter of Pte Samuel Fayers and Jane, born on 29 November 1836.
The following were buried at Malta in 1836:
- 2 July Pte Edward Fossett aged 23 years.
- 18 July Jane Shawcross aged 4 months, daughter of John Shawcross.
- 3 Aug Pte John Harrison aged 24 years.
- 19 Aug Charles May aged 11 months, son of QM Sgt D. May.
- 29 Aug Charlotte Brown aged 14 months, daughter of Pte William Brown.
- 7 Sept Mary Clarke aged 9 years. daughter of Joseph Clarke.
- 15 Oct John Wilson Campbell aged 2 years, son of Leonard Campbell.
- 23 Oct Pte William Jarvis aged 30 years.
- 12 Nov Pte Henry Mumford aged 28 years.
- 7 Dec Melise Metcalf aged 21 months, daughter of Henry Metcalf.
- 18 Dec William George Geratt aged 19 months, son of Christopher Geratt.
1837 59th (2nd Nottinghamshire)
Malta 17 June–18 July 1837 During the outbreak of cholera which hit Malta from 9 June to 11 October 1837, the regiment had 80 infected with 13 deaths (5 males, 4 females, 4 children).
The following were baptized in Malta in 1837:
- 19 Feb Richard Metcalf son of Pte Henry Metcalf and Sarah born on 31 January 1837.
- 19 Feb Mary Ann Hubbert daughter of Pte James Hubbert and Mary Ann born on 8 February 1837.
- 8 Mar Mark Mead son of Pte Samuel Mead and Sarah born on 25 November 1836.
- 17 Apr Mary Ann Allen daughter of Pte Richard Allen and Susan born on 27 March 1837.
- 14 May Isabella Tedford daughter of Pte James Tedford and Isabella born on 26 April 1837.
- 15 May William Bushell son of Pte Shadrach Bushell and Mary born on 8 May 1837.
- 21 May Thomas Moncton son of Cpl Thomas Moncton and Mary born on 9 May 1837.
- 12 June Francis Bloodworth son of Pte Francis Bloodworth and Ellen born on 24 May 1837.
- 3 July Isabella Fraser daughter of Pte William Fraser and Helen born on 5 June 1837.
- 23 July Mary Harriet Butler daughter of Drum Major Edward Smith Butler and Mary Jane born on 24 June 1837.
- 30 July Charles May son of QM Sgt Daniel May and Lois born on 5 July 1837.
- 5 Sept Thomas Stratford Manners son of Capt Richard Manners and Letitia born on 10 August 1837.
- 11 Sept William Stone son of Pte David Stone and Catherine born on 1 September 1837.
- 12 Oct Donald Armstrong son of Sgt Andrew Armstrong and Jane born on 2 October 1837.
- 19 Oct Caroline Johnson daughter of Cpl William Johnson and Mary born on 13 October 1837.
- 20 Nov Sarah Stow son of Pte Sirgent Stow and Sarah born on 25 October 1837.
- 24 Dec Thomas Beaman son of Pte John Beaman and Anne born on 8 December 1837.
The following was buried at Malta in 1837:
- 9 Mar Pay Master William Erskine Grant aged 54 years.
1838 59th (2nd Nottinghamshire)
Malta Jan 1838 Strength: 490 men.
The following were married in Malta in 1838:
- 8 Jan Bachelor Pte Henry Kelly to Mary Kelly, widow of Pte Miles Kelly 59th Regiment.
- 18 Jan Bachelor Pte Joseph Bowyer to Jane Clarke, widow of Cpl Joseph Clarke 59th Regiment.
- 22 Jan Bachelor Sgt Isaac Harrison to Mary Reynolds, spinster daughter of Sgt James Reynolds 59th Regiment.
- 25 Aug Bachelor Robert Allen to Adelaide Gonzales, spinster daughter of Emmanuele Gonzales.
The following were baptized in Malta in 1838:
- 25 Jan Mary Ann Hall daughter of Pte William Hall and Anne born on 3 January 1838.
- 5 Feb Mary Ann Shawcross daughter of Pte John Shawcross and Margery born on 1 December 1837.
- 4 Mar William Robinson son of School Master Sgt John Robinson and Margaret born on 5 February 1838.
- 25 Mar William Carden son of Pte John Carden and Sarah born on 8 March 1838.
- 25 Mar Elizabeth Webster daughter of Pte John Webster and Catherine born on 22 March 1838.
- 13 Apr Mary Heaton daughter of Sgt Martin Heaton and Ellen born on 6 April 1838.
- 22 Apr William Appleford son of Cpl John Appleford and Rosanna born on 15 April 1838.
- 7 Aug William Garrett son of Pte Christopher Garrett and Amor born on 6 May 1838.
- 2 Sept Elizabeth Habbart daughter of Pte James Habbart and Mary Anne born on 19 August 1838.
- 3 Sept Mary Anne Pike daughter of Pte William Pike and Sarah Anne born on 22 August 1838.
- 2 Oct Elizabeth Butcher daughter of Sgt John Butcher and Elizabeth born on 5 September 1838.
- 21 Oct John Mead son of Pte Samuel Mead and Sarah born on 10 October 1838.
- 23 Oct Sarah Ingram daughter of Pte Thomas Ingram and Mary born on 11 October 1838.
- 4 Nov Anne Jane Mowhay daughter of Pte Thomas Mowhay and Margaret born on 21 October 1838.
- 26 Nov Maria Halpen daughter of Pte Richard Halpen and Margaret born on 20 November 1838.
- 9 Dec Ellen Clare Wood daughter of L/Sgt John Wood and Mary Ann born on 28 November 1838.
- 17 Dec Charlotte Bowyer daughter of Pte Joseph Bowyer and Sarah born on 26 November 1838.
1839 59th (2nd Nottinghamshire)
The following were married in Malta in 1839:
- 4 June Bachelor Lt and Adjutant Adam John Laing Peebles to Elizabeth Mackay, spinster and eldest daughter of John Mackay, deceased.
- 12 June Bachelor CSgt John Barber to Anne Jones, widow of Pte John Jones 7th Royal Fusiliers.
The following were baptized in Malta in 1839:
- 8 Mar John Andrews son of Pte John Andrews and Elizabeth born on 6 February 1839.
- 17 Mar George Dosson son of Cpl Henry Dosson and Honoria born on 10 March 1839.
- 14 Apr Fanny May daughter of Sgt Major Daniel May and Lois born on 23 March 1839.
- 15 Apr John Beer son of Pte Richard Beer and Joanna born on 4 April 1839.
- 19 May Juliana Thomas daughter of Sgt Thomas Henry Thomas and Sarah born on 3 May 1839.
- 14 July Anne Armstrong daughter of Sgt Andrew Armstrong and Jane, born on 2 July 1839.
- 4 Sept Elizabeth Johnston daughter of Cpl William Johnston and Mary, born on 30 August 1839.
- 8 Sept Margaret Honey daughter of Pte John Honey and Elizabeth, born on 23 August 1839.
- 24 Sept Jane Shawcross daughter of Pte John Shawcross and Margaret, born on 24 September 1839. Jane Shawcross was publicly received in the church on 11 November 1839.
- 29 Sept William Anderson son of Pte Robert Anderson and Anne, born on 18 September 1839.
- 29 Dec Hannah Carden daughter of Pte John Carden and Sarah, born on 12 December 1839.
1840 59th (2nd Nottinghamshire)
Malta 28 Mar 153 men arrived from England on the transport Palmyra.
Malta 16–18 Apr The 59th embarked on the Palmyra and sailed for Corfu.
The following were baptized in Malta in 1840:
- 15 Jan Edward Butler son of Drum Major Edward Smith Butler and Mary Jane, born on 25 December 1839.
- 15 Jan Thomas Stone son of Pte David Stone and Catharine, born on 3 January 1840.
- 2 Feb William Temple son of Pte John Temple and Margaret, born on 21 January 1840.
- 9 Feb Robert Butterworth Harrison son of Sgt Isaac Harrison and Mary, born on 2 February 1840.
- 24 Feb William Arthur Roberts son of Pay Master Charles Roberts and Emma Gertrude, born on 6 November 1839.
- 3 Apr Eliza Appleford daughter of Cpl John Appleford and Rosanna, born on 18 March 1840.
- 5 Apr Charlotte Tedford twin daughter of Pte James Tedford and Isabella, born on 20 March 1840.
- 5 Apr William Tedford twin son of Pte James Tedford and Isabella, born on 20 March 1840.
1841 59th (2nd Nottinghamshire)
Malta 13 Jan 1841 Major Gordon, eight officers and their families and 348 men, 43 women and 96 children sailed into the Grand Harbour from Corfu on the troop ship Sapphire. They were admitted to pratique on 20 Jan 1841, before proceeding on the same ship to the West Indies. Adjutant Peebles and his lady were disembarked at Malta together with soldier's wives and children who had joined the regiment without permission.1
The following were baptized in Malta in 1841:
- 21 Mar Joseph Edgly born on 11 March 1841, son of Cpl Joseph Edgly and Frances.
- 11 Apr James Matthew Pearson born on 1 April 1841, son of Pte James Pearson and Margaret.
- 18 July Mary Dawson born on 8 July 1841, daughter of Sgt Henry Dawson and Honoria.
- 18 July William John Hall born on 30 June 1841, son of Pte William Hall and Anne.
- 25 July Sarah Carden born on 6 July 1841, daughter of Pte John Carden and Sarah.
- Farmer, J. S., 1984. The regimental records of the British Army Reprint Edition, Trowbridge, Wiltshire: Crecy Books.
- Edwards, T. J., 1980. Regimental Badges First Edition, Tonbridge, Kent: Ernest Benn Ltd.
- The Malta Times or Broad Sheet of the Mediterranean, 20 April 1840; Issue No 4.
- 1The Malta Chronicle and United Services Gazette for the Mediterranean, No 1 Malta 14 Jan 1841; Issue No 4.
- TNA:WO 156/595. No 3, Marriage Register from 11 July 1839 to 14 May 1859.
- TNA:WO 156/594. No 2, Marriage Register from 1 January 1820 to 12 June 1839.
- TNA:WO 156/594. No 2, Baptism Register from 2 January 1820 to 29 June 1839.
- TNA:WO 156/595. No 3, Baptism Register from 14 July 1839 to 25 December 1859.