The 57th (West Middlesex) Regiment
The 57th Regiment of Foot was raised in 1755 as the 59th Foot. The following year it was renumbered 57th Foot when the 50th and 51st Regiments were disbanded.
In 1782 the regiment was given its county association with West Middlesex to become The 57th (West Middlesex) Regiment.
On 1 July 1881, the 57th (West Middlesex) Regiment amalgamated with the 77th (East Middlesex) Regiment (The Duke of Cambridge's Own) to form The Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex Regiment).
The 57th (West Middlesex) Regiment
1855 57th (West Middlesex)
Burials in 1855:
- 12 July 1855 Pte James Tilby 57th Regiment aged 26 years.
1856 57th (West Middlesex)
28 May 1856 The 57th Regiment embarked at the Crimea and arrived in Malta on 2 June 1856. It had 734 men.
Marriages in the Collegiate Church of St Paul's Valletta in 1856:
- 11 Sep Bachelor CSgt John Coughlan to Anne Batt, spinster, of Royston Hertfordshire.
- 11 Sep Bachelor Paymaster Sgt James Batten to Margaret McCrea, widow.
Burials in 1856:
- 19 Jan Pte William Haynes 57th Regiment aged 37 years.
- 27 May Lt John Nixon Gooch Macartney aged 20 years, died at his quarters at Verdala Barracks, Cottonera on Sunday 27 May 1856.
- 21 Aug Sgt James Lock aged 28 years.
1857 57th (West Middlesex)
1857 The men were at Verdala Barracks. Battalion strength (1 Mar 1857) was 774 men.
June 1857 In 1856–57, an epidemic of ophthalmia broke out in regiments stationed in Malta. The 14th Foot had 226 cases of ophthalmia out of a strength of 828 men. The 57th Foot had 198 cases, of which 30 were relapses. The troops went down with ophthalmia at Balaclava and Kimburn in 1855–56. Married soldiers were virtually not infected while women and children only had a mild form of conjunctivitis. Three married men who had been previously healthy became infected after sleeping in a tent in which were two men affected with ophthalmia.
18 Mar There was a riotous disturbances in Senglea, when the military piquets drew their bayonets upon the police constabulary. Pt James Evans 57th Regt was sentenced to 45 days custody for running a bayonet through the shirt of constable Antonio Busuttil.
Marriages in the Collegiate Church of St Paul's Valletta in 1857:
- 23 Feb Bachelor Cpl Thomas Brisley born in Essex to Eliza Coughlan spinster, daughter of Pte Edward Coughlan 57th Regiment.
- 2 Apr Bachelor L/Cpl Thomas Wood to Sophia Archer, spinster daughter of William Archer.
- 26 Sep Bachelor Sgt Major George Cumming born in Banffshire, Scotland to Catharine Belsom spinster, born in Kilkenny Ireland, daughter of George and Mary Belsom.
Baptisms in 1857:
- 14 June Elizabeth Jane Gardiner, daughter of Elizabeth and CSgt George Gardiner.
- 28 June Alfred Battea, son of Margaret and Pay Master Sgt James Battea.
- 2 July John Thomas Parker born 28 June, son of Catharine and Sgt James Parker was baptised privately. He was received into the church on 2 August.
- 24 July Maude Mary Logan, daughter of Annie and Maj Robert Logan.
- 30 Aug Hannah Hill, daughter of Sarah Anne and Hospital Sgt James Hill.
- 9 Sep Joseph Brown born 13 August 1857, son of Bridget and Pte Joseph Brown.
- 16 Sep Charles Edmund Waugh born 31 May 1857, son of Catharine and Lt and Adjutant George Rowland Waugh.
- 16 Sep Joseph Charlton born 31 August 1857, son of Ellen and Sgt George Charlton.
- 30 Sep Sarah Eliza Dexter born 29 August 1857, daughter of Mary and Pte George Dexter.
- 24 Sep Sarah Jane Ansford born 15 September 1857, daughter of Mary and Pte Ansford.
- 21 Oct Thomas James Jarman born 19 September 1857, daughter of Mary and Pte John Jarman.
- 28 Oct Isabel Gertrude Mathews born 12 September 1857, daughter of Frances Amelia and Paymaster Mark Mathews.
- 9 Dec Susanna Barden born 24 October 1857, daughter of Susan and Cpl John Barden.
- 9 Dec Martha Brierley born 14 November 1857, daughter of Catharine and Pte Stephen Brierley.
- 16 Dec Emma Frances Priscilla Henshaw born 5 December 1857, daughter of Priscilla and Armourer Sgt Stephen Henshaw.
Burials in the Civil and Military Cemetery Floriana in 1857:
- 3 Aug Pte James Forsyth aged 26 years.
- 29 Sep Mary Ansford aged 29 years, wife of Pte Charles Ansford (Military and Civil Cemetery Floriana).
- 16 Oct Sarah Eliza Dexter aged 48 days, daughter of Pte Dexter.
A memorial erected by the Officers, Non Commissioned Officers and Men of the West Middlesex Regiment formerly placed in the Civil and Military Cemetery Floriana read:
No 1782 Pte James Burgess Knight 5th Class of the Legion of Honour of France died October 1857 and Michael Sheridan died March 1856 and James Forsyth died August 1857 Grenadiers of the 57th West Middlesex Regiment. They served through the Campaign in the Crimea 1854–56 and were present at Inkerman, Balaclava and Sebastopol.
1858 57th (West Middlesex)
1 Jan 1858 Strength: Rank and File 570 (Effective), 600 (Established) with two coys in Aden. Together with the 1st/14th Foot and 21st Foot, the eight companies of 57th Foot formed part of 1st Brigade.
11 May 1858 The 57th (West Middlesex) embarked for Bombay following a tour of two years in Malta.
Marriages in 1858:
- 31 Mar In the Collegiate Church of St Paul's Valletta, Bachelor CSgt Robert Frazer married Anne Carson, spinster daughter of James Carson 57th Regiment.
Baptisms in 1858:
- 6 Jan William Henry Morgans born on 11 December 1857, son of Jane and CSgt John Morgans.
- 6 Jan Caroline Ellen Crawford born on 20 December 1857, daughter of Emily and School Master Sgt James Frederick Crawford 57th Regiment.
- 10 Feb Thomas William Brisley born 3 December 1857, son of Elizabeth and Cpl Thomas Brisley.
- 17 Mar Arthur Henry Bosworth born 4 March 1858, son of Eliza and Sgt William Bosworth.
Burials in Floriana Cemetery in 1858:
- 18 Jan Pte John Nicholls aged 26 years 10 months.
- 29 Apr Alice Owens aged 26 years.
The 2nd/57th The Middlesex Regiment
June – Nov 1913 The 2nd/Middlesex Regiment arrived from Warley, Essex.
13 Sep 1914 On 13 Sep, HT Ships Gallicia, Nevasa and Galika arrived at Malta with the Territorial Brigade of the 1st City of London Royal Fusiliers.
15 Sep HT Ships Nevasa and Galika sailed from Malta with the 2nd/West Yorkshire Regiment and the 2nd/Middlesex Regiment.
Baptisms in 1914:
- 14 Jan Robert John Hudd born on 22 December 1913, son of Rosina and Sgt Robert John Hudd, of Floriana.
- 5 Apr Gabrielle Louisa Ethel Wadlow born on 11 February 1914, daughter of Emily and Drm John William Thomas Wadlow, of Msida Married Quarters.
- 13 May Ivy Aileen Wells born on 15 March 1914, daughter of Helen Harriet and Pte William John Hedgbert Wells, of Msida Bastion Married Quarters, Floriana.
- 20 May John Henry William Wenman born on 1 May 1914, son of Amie and Sgt John William Wenman, of Msida Bastion Married Quarters, Floriana.
- 17 June Francis Harold Cartwright born on 27 May 1914, son of Kathleen and Sgt Francis Harold Cartwright, of Floriana.
- 24 June Florence Alice Joyce Guscott born on 2 June 1914, daughter of Florence Lydia and Sgt Robert Thomas Guscott, of Msida Bastion Quarters, Floriana.
- 1 July John Stanley Charles Hall born on 29 May 1914, son of Harriet Louisa and Sgt John Thomas Hall, of Msida Bastion Quarters, Floriana.
- 22 July Joan Edith Atkins born on 1 July 1914, daughter of Alice Maud and Sgt William Atkins, of Fort Manoel.
- 12 Aug Henry Charles Leslie Anderson born on 16 July 1914, son of Edith Gertrude and Coy Sgt Maj Henry Anderson, of Msida Bastion, Floriana.
- 19 Aug Terence Edward Fowler born on 4 August 1914, son of Lily and Pte Edward Thomas Fowler, of Msida Bastion, Floriana.
- 26 Aug Frank George Henry Rapson born on 30 July 1914, son of Mary Elizabeth and Sgt Maj George Frederick Edwin Rapson, of the Warrant Officers' Quarters, Floriana Barracks.
- 26 Aug John Walter Ernest West born on 27 July 1914, son of Lilian Dorothy and Sgt Ernest Albert West, of Msida Bastion Quarters Quarters, Floriana.
- 14 Oct Beatrice May Wanstall born on 10 September 1914, daughter of Georgina Matilda and Sgt Isaac Wanstall of Msida Bastion Quarters, Floriana.
The 2nd/10th The Middlesex Regiment
1915 – 2nd/10th The Middlesex
Burials in the New Pietà Military Cemetery in 1915:
- 4 Oct Pte Puleston J E aged 19 years.
- Farmer J. S., 1984. The regimental records of the British Army Reprint Edition, Trowbridge, Wiltshire: Crecy Books.
- Cannon J., 1990, The Msida Bastion Cemetery Malta. Bucks Cannon Associates.
- TNA:WO 156/113. Register of burials Sep 1853 to June 1862.
- TNA:WO 156/122; List of gravestones at the Military and Civil Cemetery Msida 1801–1865 and the Quarantine Bastion Cemetery 1819–1867 compiled by the Rev D B L Foster Assistant Chaplain General Western Mediterranean in May 1939.
- TNA:WO 156/595. No 3, Marriage Register 11 July 1839 to 14 May 1859.
- Death of Lt John N G Macartney 57th The West Middlesex Regiment. The Malta Times and Naval and Military Gazette No 721, Tuesday 9 December 1856.