Regiments of the Malta Garrison The Suffolk Regiment
The Suffolk Regiment
The Suffolk Regiment was raised in 1685 by the Duke of Norfolk to suppress the threatened Monmouth Rebellion. It was numbered 12th in 1751, to which East Suffolk was added in 1782. The 12th was one of the six British Infantry Regiments at Minden in 1759.
In June 1836, The 12th (East Suffolk) Regiment was granted permission to bear on its Colours the word India in recognition of its distinguished conduct during its services in the East Indies from 1797 to 1807.
In December 1836, the regiment was permitted to carry on its Colours the word Gibraltar, the Castle and Key, being part of the armorial bearings of that fortress, together with the motto Montis Insignia Calpe in commemoration of its distinguished service during the siege of 1778–83.
The Castle, Key and motto of Gibraltar were granted to Gibraltar by Henry IV of Castile in 1462, after the Duke of Medina had captured the Rock from the Moors. The key alludes to the Rock of Gibraltar being the key to the Mediterranean
On 1 July 1881, The 12th (East Suffolk) Regiment became The Suffolk Regiment.
In 1959, The Suffolk Regiment linked with the Royal Norfolk Regiment to form The 1st East Anglian Regiment (Royal Norfolk and Suffolk).
In 1964, it became the 1st (Norfolk and Suffolk)/The Royal Anglian Regiment, and in 1968, The 1st/The Royal Anglian Regiment.
The 1st/Suffolk Regiment
1 July 1881 The 1st/12th Regiment became The 1st Battalion, the Suffolk Regiment.
Admissions into hospital and deaths during the year with ratio of admissions and deaths per 1000 of strength. The average strength of the troops, exclusive of the Royal Malta Artillery, was 7,390 men.
The 1st/Suffolk Regiment had an average constantly sick was 60.11 (65.41/1000 mean strength). The average sick time to each soldier was 23.87 days. The average duration of cases of sickness was 24.38 days.
The regiment was quartered at Fort Manoel and Hutments for 12 months.
7 Jan 1898 The men forming the draft of the 2nd/Somersetshire who were leaving for India, were entertained by their comrades of the Northamptonshire draft.
1 Dec The 1st/Somersetshire received orders to embark for Dover.
The following were baptised in 1898:
2 JanElinor Kate Hearne born on 23 November 1897, daughter of Kate and Sgt James Hearne, of Cottonera.
16 JanAmy Doris Ellen Burbridge born on 16 December 1897, daughter of Ellen and Sgt Alfred Samuel, of Vittoriosa.
23 OctRichard Wharfe born on 9 October 1898, son of Pte John Wharfe and Sarah Ann, of Tigné.
23 OctBeryl Millicent Coidon born on 25 September 1898, daughter of Sgt Robert Coidon and Eleanor, of Tigné.
2 NovJoseph Wilfred Shepherd Cooke born on 11 October 1898, son of Sgt Joseph Henry Cooke and Annie Elizabeth, of Tigné.
The following were buried in Rinella Military Cemetery in 1898:
1 Jan L/Cpl Herbert William Rudland aged 21 years, died at Cottonera.
8 Jan Pte Herbert Hooper aged 22 years, died at Cottonera.
25 FebHannah Jude aged 30 years, died at Cottonera.
27 Apr Pte John Fawsey aged 21 years, died at Cottonera.
The following were buried in Pietà Military Cemetery in 1898:
5 Jan Pte Elias Shorter, aged 19 years.
9 Apr Pte William Watson, aged 21 years.
2 May Mrs Anne Ashby, aged 31 years, wife of Sgt Ashby.
17 Sep Dvr Ernest D Woolwough aged 19 years 10 months.
28 Oct Mrs Sarah Wharf aged 26 years wife of pte Wharf.
11 NovGeorge William Fenton.
8 Dec Infant Adeline Alice Harrison aged 2 months, daughter of Sgt Harrison.
Aug 1910 Towards the end of August, The 1st/Suffolk Regiment was hit by a sudden outbreak of Paratyphoid B infection.
The fever was preceded by a few isolated cases of diarrhoea earlier in the year. The first case appeared on 4 May. The patient was admitted to hospital on 29 May from St Andrew's Barracks and was returned to barracks on 25 July 1910.
Sixteen days after his discharge, a second soldier fell ill. There followed a further twelve, all from the Suffolk Regiment, except for one soldier from the King's Royal Rifle Corps living in the adjoining St George's Barracks.
The last case occurred on 14 September and the patient was discharged on 12 Oct 1910. The pyrexia varied from 4 to 23 days. Bacillus paratyphoid was isolated in blood cultures.1