25958 Lieutenant Colonel (T/Colonel) Alistair Cameron MacDonald
MC TD MB ChB
1894 [Polmont Stirlingshire] – 12 Jan 1971
Lieutenant Colonel Alistair Cameron MacDonald was educated at Milne's High School, Fochabers, and at Aberdeen University. During the early part of the first world war he served as a machine gun officer in the 5th Seaforths, but returned to his medical studies and graduated with honours in 1916. He then went back to active service as a medical officer in Salonica and was awarded the Military Cross.
In 1919 he joined the Elgin practice of Dr Thomas Alexander, whom he had met in Salonica. During the second world war Dr MacDonald was colonel in charge of a military hospital in Malta and North Africa. At the end of the war he returned to his practice and retired officially in 1958.
Service Record — Alistair Cameron MacDonald
10 Sep 1941 Reported to No 11 Depot and Training Establishment RAMC Leeds on the incorporation of No 39 General Hospital.
Officer Commanding 39 GH St Andrews.
Malta 18 Mar 1942 Took over the duties of A/DDMS Malta during the illness of Colonel Frederick Whalley with a respiratory infection. Col Whalley resumed his duties as A/DDMS on 23 March.
Malta 28 Apr 1942 Reported on the suitability of using the site at Mellieha Infantry Camp as a tented 200-300 bed hospital for 39 GH, which had been destroyed by enemy bombing at St Andrews on 25 April. Col MacDonald was of the opinion that the bombed site at st Andrews should be cleared of rubble and the hospital rebuilt.
Malta 1943 Officer Commanding 39 GH Mellieha Camp.
Malta 22 July 1943 Posted to No 4 General Hospital. Left Malta by air for Cairo on 27 July. On 24 July, Lt Col W E K Coles took over temporary command of No 39 General Hospital until the arrival of Lt Col I W Fitzgerald Powell in August.
- TNA:WO 177/1274, War Diaries No 39 General Hospital Sept 1941 to December 1944.
- Obituary. Br Med J (1971); 2:53 (Published 3 April 1971).