Lieutenant Colonel William Davenport Crawley Kelly
DSO (1917) MB BCh BAO (Dubl 1901)
1 Sep 1877 [Rangoon Burma] – 18 Dec 1951 [Wareham Dorset]
William Davenport Crawley Kelly was the son of Surgeon General William Pierce Kelly - Madras Army. He Married Miss Wolseley at Holy Trinity Church Marylebone London.
1902 Civilian surgeon at Home.
1 Sep 1902 Appointed Lieutenant RAMC.
1903–1908 Served in India.
1 Mar 1906 Promoted Captain RAMC.
1910 Specialist in Operative Surgery.
8 May 1913 At Thornby Rectory, Northampton, birth of a son to the wife of Captain W D C Kelly RAMC.
1913–1914 Served in South Africa.
1 June 1914 Promoted Major RAMC.
28 July 1914 Start of the Great War.
4 Aug 1914 Britain declares war on Germany.
1914–1919 Served with the British Expeditionary Force in Belgium (invalided) and France.
30 May 1916 At 89, Lower Baggot Street, Dublin, to Lt Col W D C Kelly RAMC and Mrs Kelly (nee Wolseley), birth of a daughter.1
1 June 1917 Temporary Lieutenant Colonel while in command of a Casualty Clearing Station.
4 June 1917 London Gazette: Appointed a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order (DSO).
Malta 17 June 1919 Arrived from England.
Malta 21 July 1919 Awarded the French Ordre des Palmes Academiques.
Malta 21 Aug 1919 Awarded the French Bronze Medal of Honour with swords.
Malta 1920 On duty at Malta.
Malta 1921 On duty at Malta.
Malta 25 Apr 1921 Birth of William Pierce to William Davenport Crawley Kelly and Honoria Violet Bessie. The baby was baptised on 1 June 1921 in the newly opened St Oswald's Chapel, Mtarfa, which from 1 June 1921 replaced the Mtarfa Church Room.
Malta 2 July 1922 Returned to England.
5 Dec 1924 Promoted Lieutenant Colonel.
1926–1930 Served in India.
27 July 1930 Colonel L/RAMC.
Nov 1945–1946 Served in North West Europe.
- Entry No: 291. Drew R. 1968. Commissioned Officers in the Medical Services of the British Army 1690–1960. Vol. II. Roll of Officers in the Royal Army Medical Corps 1898–1960, London: Wellcome Historical Medical Library.
- Succession Books Vol XXI, Returns of statement of service of RAMC Officers.
- Obituary William Pierce (tim) Kelly, Br Med J (1998), 316; 1172 (Published 11 Apr 1998).
- TNA:ADM 338/54, Register of baptisms in the Mtarfa Church Room and St Oswald's Church Mtarfa.
- 1Births, Corps News J R Army Med Corps, dated July 1916.