Major William Lewis Gray was the son of Dr Alexander Gray MD of Selby.
5 Feb 1887 Surgeon Army Medical Staff.
1889–1890 Served on the Anglo-Siamese Boundary Commission.
1890–1891 Served on the on the Kieuglung-Chienghai mission.
1895 Served with the Chitral Relief Force North West Frontier British India. The small British Garrison was besieged at Chitral Fort from 3 Mar 1895, until it was relieved on 19 Apr 1895.
1897 Married Janet, daughter of Thomas Orr, accountant of London.
5 Feb 1899 Major RAMC.
1900–1901 Served in South Africa, in operations in the Transvaal, Orange River Colony, and Cape Colony, where he was mentioned in dispatches, London Gazette, Apr 16th, 1901.
Malta 10 Nov 1903 Arrived from Golden Hill Fort Isle of Wight.
Malta Nov 1903 Appointed Sanitary Officer at Malta.
Resident at Station Hospital Valletta.
Malta 1904 Sanitary Officer Malta.
Malta 1905 On duty at Valletta as Sanitary Officer Malta in charge of laboratory.
Malta 3 Aug 1905 Home leave.
Malta 7 Oct 1905 Returned from leave.
Malta Jan 1906 Sanitary Officer Valletta
Examiner in Chemistry, University of Malta.
Malta 24 July 1906 Home leave.
Malta 29 Sept 1906 Returned from leave.
Malta Jan 1907 Sanitary Officer Valletta
Malta Oct 1907 Presented a report on "Enteric Fever in children and families at the new Verdala Married Quarters".
Malta Sept 1907 Exchanged with Lt Col Daly James Henry and returned to Plymouth England.
2 Aug 1911 Lieutenant Colonel RAMC.
1914 Served in the Great War as Assistant Director of Medical Services.
1 Mar 1915 Colonel L/RAMC.
10 Aug 1919 Retired.
3 Nov 1924 Died of pneumonia at North Holt, Hythe, aged 60 years.
- Entry No: 7244. Johnston W. 1917. Roll of Commissioned Officers in the Medical Service of the British Army. Vol 1 (20 June 1727-23 June 1898), Aberdeen.
- Foreign Postings Malta, J R Army Med Corps, Vol I: 3; Sept 1903.
- Distribution of RAMC Officers. Corps News Vol IV: 6; June 1905.
- Succession Books Vol XVIII Returns of statement of service of RAMC Officers.
- Deaths in the services, Br Med J (1924), 980 (Published 22 November 1924).