John Mounsten Pemberton Clark became emeritus professor of orthopaedic surgery at the University of Leeds. He graduated in medicine from Leeds University in 1931. He worked as a practitioner in Dewsbury until 1938, when he returned to the General Infirmary in Leeds as registrar in orthopaedic surgery. He obtained the FRCS in 1939.
He served in the RAMC at Malta, where in addition to his military duties he assisted in treating the poliomyelitis epidemic. Sir Herbert Seddon encouraged him to develop his interest in tendon transplantation, which led to him writing his major contribution on pectoralis major transplantation during the war. This operation greatly helped to pioneer this branch of restorative surgery. He conducted a dance band in Malta during the siege to entertain the beleaguered troops. He was awarded the MBE for war service.
On being appointed consultant orthopaedic surgeon in 1946, Mr Clark developed his interests in poliomyelitis by establishing a regional unit at Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield. In 1947 he was sent by the Government to Israel to advise on the development of services after a major polio epidemic there. He furthered the development of the first College of Remedial Gymnasts in England and encouraged the instigation of orthopaedic nurse training between Thorp Arch and Pinderfields Hospitals. His undergraduate teaching was based at the General Infirmary and St James's Hospital in Leeds, and he also served hospitals in Dewsbury and Selby.1